When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hanger Question

-

hopkintonbike

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have been spending way too much time lately on this forum and now I have an interest in these turn of the century beautiful machines like the Merkel, Hudson, Miami etc, getting a better appreciation of the midwest manufacturer's culture, never realized how the Wright Brothers weren't outliers during the period, seems like they were right in the thick of it, anyways, I have reviewed the thread archive and I have maybe a dumb question that has been discussed and I am just not finding it, but what exactly are we talking about when we use the term "hanger"? Is this the entire collection of parts the includes the cranks, sprocket, and bottom bearing/shaft assembly or just part of it? Can the term hanger and bottom bracket be used interchangably? I assume we are not talking about the part of the frame assembly commonly referred to as the bottom bracket shell, thanks, Todd

hanger bracket - bottom bracket
same thing, sometime after the mid 1950's it started getting called the bottom bracket.

know your bike.jpg

Back