When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard Pedaling '59 Western Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't know squat about Murray's, but it looks like there's a possible fender mounting bracket going across the chain stays just to the front of the tire. I can see something red right in front of the tire. Is the rear tire rubbing that?

1593289297803.png

I agree that you may have hard-baked grease in that rear hub, especially if the bike is in a garage in Arizona. I live in Texas and have found several like that.

We counted the sprockets on the rear hub. There are 18 and it is 3" wide. Is this a typical size for a 26" bike?

It does not feel like anything is rubber. We have already turned the bike over and adjusted the rear hub bearings. I don't think the bearing grease would be caked on because everything is new on the bike, including the bearings. My first two suspects would be the larger ballon tires or possible and incorrect rear gear (the front gear is original, the rear gear is new and came with the new wheels I purchased).

The 18 T. rear sprocket is pretty normal and standard. Optional is 22 and easier on the legs. Did you mention how many teeth are on the front chain ring? That ring looks huge, maybe a 52 tooth? The old Schwinn clover ring is 46 tooth and after 1958 that's all they used. No more 52T rings were used again.

Could it be that you're getting like the rest of us? Older and not as strong as we used to be. My 73 year old body can't keep up with my 29 year old mind. Stuff just don't work like it used to. In college I used to run a sub 50 second 1/4 mile; now I'm out of breath when I get to the top of the stairs.

Turn the bike upside down on its seat and bars, then just spin the wheels....do they spin freely? If so, then change the front or back sprockets....these bikes with 52 tooth front chainrings and small rear cogs are very difficult to pedal...change them out to a larger rear cog and a smaller front ring.

Take out those fat tires, and put on the correct ones. 26 x 1.75. The previous owner of my wife’s bike but those on her Mainliner. I put the stock tire size on and the wheel rub was resolved.

Take out those fat tires, and put on the correct ones. 26 x 1.75. The previous owner of my wife’s bike but those on her Mainliner. I put the stock tire size on and the wheel rub was resolved.

I bet its this. Much less space on middleweight bikes with factory 26 x 1.75" tires to support balloon tires.

Back