Hardware Store Badged Bikes.

This ad disappears when logged in

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
Bulverde, TX
no offense to guys posting those nice photos of loose hardware store badges (I think I'm one of them) - but I really like seeing them on bikes...

2jakes

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 1, 2010
Elysium Fields
This is my Schwinn Phantom with “Ace” badge.
etsaie.jpg

These phantoms are known as the “Contract Schwinns”.

In 1924, uniting their Chicago-area hardware stores to increase buying power, Richard Hesse,
E. G. Lindquist, Frank Burke, & Oscar Fisher forged the beginning of ACE Hardware.

This is a 1938 Monark Built with ACE badge:
2e67ket.png

Monark with “ACE” badge:
j8ma2o.png

And this is my Schwinn with “ACE" badge:
205zh9y.jpg

(when I bought this bike, the guy had sprayed the entire tube, including the badge with red
spray paint. I wanted to choke him.)

Schwinn also had contracts with others companies.
I have a Schwinn with B.F.Goodrich. badge.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan Schwinnobi

Feb 5, 2013
San Diego
This is my Schwinn Phantom with “Ace” badge.
etsaie.jpg

These phantoms are known as the “Contract Schwinns”.

In 1924, uniting their Chicago-area hardware stores to increase buying power, Richard Hesse,
E. G. Lindquist, Frank Burke, & Oscar Fisher forged the beginning of ACE Hardware.

This is a 1938 Monark Built with ACE badge:
2e67ket.png

Monark with “ACE” badge:
j8ma2o.png

And this is my Schwinn with “ACE" badge:
205zh9y.jpg

(when I bought this bike, the guy had sprayed the entire tube, including the badge with red
spray paint. I wanted to choke him. But luckily, I got most of it off.)

Schwinn also had contracts with others companies.
I have a Schwinn with B.F.Goodrich. badge.
I don't think the schwinn ACE was ACE Hardware sold from the shop....the reason I think this is because it still says Arnold schwinn made in Chicago on it as all the other hardware stores ect had badges without the Arnold schwinn stuff on it... my main reason for thinking this is because BF goodrich badges, prewar and early postwar say nothing schwinn on them. That was probably schwinns biggest account ....or I could be utterly wrong lol...ACE did start in Illinois so maybe it would be the same ...so maybe it was more of a local landmark ect badge like Pullman ect....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cyclingday

Feb 24, 2008
Costa Mesa, California. United States
Indian bought out Ace, so Schwinn was never affiliated with the Ace brand motorcycle.
Although when Ignaz released the Henderson brothers from their no compete clause,
William Henderson founded the Ace motorcycle company in Philadelphia, Pa.

2jakes

Sep 1, 2010
Elysium Fields
I don't think the schwinn ACE was ACE Hardware sold from the shop....the reason I think this is because it still says Arnold schwinn made in Chicago on it as all the other hardware stores ect had badges without the Arnold schwinn stuff on it... my main reason for thinking this is because BF goodrich badges, prewar and early postwar say nothing schwinn on them. That was probably schwinns biggest account ....or I could be utterly wrong lol...ACE did start in Illinois so maybe it would be the same ...so maybe it was more of a local landmark ect badge like Pullman ect....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You’re right.
I couldn’t say for fact that Chicago Schwinn made the Ace for the Ace Hardware in Chicago.
I just happened to notice reading about the 1938 Monark Built Ace Hardware bicycles.
And perhaps there was a similarity with Schwinn doing the same.
Unless someone discovers some paperwork or invoices in an old filing desk, we’ll never know for sure.! ;)

juanitasmith13

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 6, 2015
Creve Coeur, Tazewell County, IL.
I'm about 150 miles s/sw of Chicago... In my memory of 1950s and 1960s Peoria, there was a large ACE hardware store, also, a Blue Star Auto store, on South Adams street...about 4-6 blocks from courthouse square. [This Ace hardware was not like today's Ace hardware stores]. On the main floor were table-top units with closed storage underneath, about 5-6 feet wide and 10 feet long; and, they were butted against each other lengthwise with aisles between each long row of tables. When I went there with my Dad, I was looking @ bikes, and the tables with bike accessories. Reflectors, mud flaps, mirrors, bells, horns, seats ,pedals, kickstands, streamers, fox tails, YOU Name It! They sold ACE badged bikes built by Schwinn and maybe by other manufactures, too... I had a friend, Danny B., who had a straight-bar 1952 Schwinn with ACE badge, from that store; and, when we visited his house, I often rode that bike. I haven't seen Danny since the mid-1960s. However, in the early 1990s Danny's Dad gave that bike to my retired Father, who was 'fixing-up bikes' for a missionary to give to needy children. It was a rusty mess, more so than my Dad desired to fix; but, because I had ridden that bike I traded Dad a bike easier to fix for that [schwinn] straight-bar... and I have it today. SORRY, no provenience or other paper proof.

2jakes

Sep 1, 2010
Elysium Fields
Thank You. Your memory is good enough for me.

I remember that the Western Auto Store in my neighborhood sold the Western Flyer X-53.
I got one for Christmas in 1954. My mom & uncle put it on “layaway”.
The bike arrived in a huge carton unassembled.
What I would give to open up a BlueBird complete in a carton or for that matter, any brand....
all made in the USA. :)

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
This one is on my '38 Five Bar--the earliest Five Bar I have ever seen. Being a HD guy I love this badge. In 1911 Frank Mahowald started a Hardware store in Mankato, MN. By 1917 he carried a full line of sporting goods to include bicycles and Harley Davidson motorcycles. If anyone has this badge with the paint still intact I would love to see it as I plan to restore this bike. This bike is house painted green and I think the green on the badge is the same as on the bike. V/r Shawn

DSC_1273 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1274 - Copy.JPG

tripple3

Riding Miles; Collecting Smiles
Sep 25, 2012
Beach Cities, CA 92708
Bump with some info from another thread on Delmar: Simmons Hardware Co. St Louis, MO.
Delmar is a St. Louis hardware store branded bike. I don't recall which hardware store, Shapleigh, Guarantee, etc, etc, but I had looked at a map last year of its former location and its property sat right along, you guessed it, Delmar Ave. in St. Louis. At the turn of the century St. Louis, MO was kind of the center of the universe for all things tools, toolmaking, die making, and so on because the tool steel that was produced by the nearby Granite City Steel in Granite City, IL was considered superior to almost all other mills in the United States. (Copied from a post back in 2013 by @Talewinds)
IMG_6172.PNG
IMG_6168.JPG

ItIsWhatItIs

Look Ma, No Hands!
Feb 21, 2018
Mid-Willamette Valley, OR
While not a hardware store, I've been collecting information on bikes sold through a store in Portland, OR... 'L.W. Keenan and Co'. I stumbled across the brand while looking at CL bikes. Went and checked it out (seller turned out to be CABE member)...and bought it. Then became so consumed by these Portland Oregon badged bikes, that I've bought pretty much anything I can that is related to it. So...here are my L.W. Keenan & Co bikes...

...the first, a Champion badged boys' Columbia (1941)...thank you Shawn :cool:
60791_066e0918fe5b65f77b3db862a445dbd0.jpg

...my 2nd aquisition, another Champion badged boys' '41 Columbia...the owner had no history on it...
60792_71809ff2a099d023169170fda4fa3ba0.jpg

...thirdly, a Champion badged girls' '42 Columbia...the owners' mother had gotten it before the attack on Pearl Harbor...
60793_45a0961afd1cac2ad61afbb3968f2492.jpg

I got all three of the above off CL in ~6month window...haven't seen another hit CL here since (nearly 2 years ago).

I have a thread on RRB that archives what I've dug up and invites others to add to it (L.W. Keenan Champion branded bikes...Colson Heavy Service and ACE HIGH brands as well). That is how I was made aware of a L.W. Keenan badged Colson in the SF Bay area...a couple months later, I got it as well...
73651_91079aeb357da3fda9e15459506d7e96.jpg

There was a very nice L.W. Keenan Heavy Service Colson here on the CABE a few years ago (before I started my decent into madness), had the aluminum fenders and chainguard...but, I believe it got parted out :cry:.

In addition to the ones I have (above)...there was a gentleman that did a drive by posting on my thread, stated his dad worked at L.W. Keenan bitd, and provided some pics of his sisters' bike...a Champion branded '42 Columbia lightweight...
69406_72f68b370f44362121cf343ebb460ae6.jpg

Unfortunately, he didn't respond to my inquiries...just one post and gone.

Recently ANOTHER L.W. Keenan badged bike came out of nowhere on my thread, from a guy in Portland, of all places :cool:. This one was branded as an 'Ace High' and is on a CWC bike...
77154_8a730ba600051167ae047f4967acc508.jpeg

Jason

ItIsWhatItIs

Look Ma, No Hands!
Feb 21, 2018
On my RRB thread, a member (also a member here) posted another Champion badge, wondering if it was related to the L.W. Keenan Champion...
82505_9d6d25a9c7a889743a5a38469da4bb30.jpg

...I don't think it is related to L.W. Keenan...oddly enough, the script is dead on to an Australian Champion brand, but I can't imagine what the connection would be.

I have a black/red CWC project without a badge...so, I picked up one of these off ebay...
s-l400.jpg

Jason

barnyguey

Apr 7, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
This one is on my '38 Five Bar--the earliest Five Bar I have ever seen. Being a HD guy I love this badge. In 1911 Frank Mahowald started a Hardware store in Mankato, MN. By 1917 he carried a full line of sporting goods to include bicycles and Harley Davidson motorcycles. If anyone has this badge with the paint still intact I would love to see it as I plan to restore this bike. This bike is house painted green and I think the green on the badge is the same as on the bike. V/r Shawn

View attachment 358177 View attachment 358178
I have a photo of another style badge and a couple photos of badges with very little paint.
Mahowald 02.jpg

Mahowald 03.jpg

Mahowald 06.jpg

barnyguey

Apr 7, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho

ItIsWhatItIs

Look Ma, No Hands!
Feb 21, 2018
Forgot one that I have...also, not exactly a hardware store brand, but my understanding it was Pep Boys house brand...Derby.

65133_4a3d436eed2d75cc774c19d78f275989.jpg

Jason

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture