When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harley Davidson Head Badge Controversy

-

47jchiggins

I live for the CABE
So......I know this will probably be a bit of a hot topic but I wanted to share some interesting information. I have had this HD badge but have been hesitant to show it for concern of authenticity as the general consensus has been, if it's not a stamped, tin badge, then its a reproduction. I have had a few "In the know" collectors, both motorcycle and bicycle, who have either seen this badge in person or in very detailed photos who believe this to be authentic, well I hope this email from HD, clears that up.

Hi Todd.
Yes, that’s a Harley-Davidson bicycle head badge. I’d put it closer to the end of the run of the bicycle production, about 1920 to 1921.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

*********Always and Never, two words that will get you in trouble in this hobby *********

Thanks,

Todd

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4655.JPG

IMG_4658.JPG

IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting answer he gave you.....I have tried to contact the head of the archives, with no response. Thanks for sharing.

As far as I have ever seen, or from people I have trusted as knowledgeable, all the real ones are stamped. I have never heard of "late" badges being cast. These badges have been done for many years in many iterations.
The HD museum has authenticated bikes I know to be fakes or tributes. They have bikes in their collection that have fake badges... a few turn overs of the people in charge and this is probably forgotten...(keep in mind in the 80s they "Corrected" one of the earliest HD motorcycles that had been in there possession since pre 1910 and there was a lot of talk about how they F'd history for ever)

This is my OPINION based on years of following HD bikes however I could be wrong- I try to be open minded but on this subject I am fairly convinced and it would take a lot for me to change my opinion.
2cents

Back