When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harley Davidson Head Badge Controversy

-
Take a close look at the font used for "Milwaukee" in the first badge- not really appropriate for the period. The background pattern is cut into the die and the brass blank is whammed into it.

If I were going to reproduce a badge, I would make every attempt to make it look as close to the original or what others perceived as original, as possible. My badge bares no resemblance to the stamped badge, it's even slightly larger, why would someone take such painstaking measures to fake a badge that looked fake?

I am certain that 100 years ago when these bikes were produced, the first iterations didn't just pop out as exact duplicates of each other. There were parts being supplied by several different manufacturers and if something ran out, what did they do, hault production or did they make substitutions? Same with the end of production, HD had to know when they were winding down production that substitutions were going to be made because they were no longer ordering or producing large quantities of parts.

Anyone who says they "NEVER" did this or the "ALWAYS" did that, 100 years ago, is frankly full of themselves. WW1 changed they way EVERTHING was manufactured. Some materials were more readily available than others and substitutions were common. Look at automotive manufacturers today, they have modes like, Special Edition, Limited, etc, usually because of changes occurring from one year to the next and reduction of parts production but they still produced a vehicle.

Last edited:
Take a close look at the font used for "Milwaukee" in the first badge- not really appropriate for the period. The background pattern is cut into the die and the brass blank is whammed into it.
I am trying to see a difference between the font in "Milwaukee" from the badge I posted and the stamped badge, I'm not seeing it, sorry.....

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

Besides it being brass and awkward looking, what bothers me is damage on the badge. It just looks like it was done for deception as to make it look older. That to me is a major visual red flag. Definitely a copy to me.
I must admit, the damage has been something that I too have questioned. But how did someone make it? It's not cast, it doesn't look etched, it appears to have been struck, pressed or rolled using dies. I have several period examples of badges made in with same material in the same method. Someone would have had to go through a lot of trouble making a die that was INCORRECT, that just doesn't make sense.
So what do you think, is the badge below a fake?

IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5986.JPG

IMG_5987.JPG

IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_6973.JPG

Last edited:
The words in the cast badge, "MILWAUKEE, U.S.OF A.", are set in Helvetica, a font that was not published until 1957.

In my opinion.

View attachment 690951
I do not think my badge is cast......it is too uniform in thickness and devoid of imperfections normally associated with cast objects this size.
So the "MILLWAUKEE, U.S.OF A" " is a different font than mine? My badge letters are clearly more flat due to wear and different methods of manufacturering but I don't see a difference in the font when I look at the outlines or base of the letter, am I missing something?

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_6975.JPG

IMG_6991.JPG

IMG_6993.JPG

Last edited:
Back