When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harley Motorcyke - sold quick on the bay!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It might have all been rusted parts given an aged glaze of magical olive green hues (the color of money it seems.)
The third to last pic shows the rear fender clean and straight on - it looks like there are actual brush strokes in the different shades of color there.
A collection of parts forged together with a fake patina?
Not a bad collection of parts in any case.
Any other experts on these have two cents to throw in?
Any parts not correct?

The brush strokes was what made me think painted patina. Kinda the opposite of parting out a bike. Parting together a bike maybe? I don't know about the specifics on correctness of the parts. But that sprocket has way too even a coating of rust to be vintage. Totally doesn't match the cranks patina.

Don't know if it's a fake or not (I agree the sprocket does not match the rest of the bike) but I think "distressing" can be cool if done right and NOT with the intention of passing it off as the real deal. As maybe proven here, the "barn find" look is very difficult to re-create, mother nature has her own special way of treating these old beasts and you can tell the real McCoy when you see it up close.
Bummer for the unknowing buyer i guess...

I have a stupid question but isn't a Harley bike just a headbadge and sprocket essentially? The frame looks similar to most other motobikes of the era right? I can't see paying that cash for a headbadge and sprocket. Those sprockets can be done fairly easily on a waterjet and the badges have been popping up a lot lately on the bay. It would be different if it had distinct sheetmetal parts like rack, tank, fenders? I don't know? Just my dumb opinion.

its not a stupid question. they are not the same. its is a completely different animal. frame construction is what sets them apart. just like the indian, elgin ect. they had distinct fenders and no tank except for one year only fork is different and the cranks are also. the one sold is not correct. I did not know i had one till i compared it to a original. I found the correct colors hidden and asked a friend who has one which has a original that is not pictured in any web sites. he described the differences. this, along with the pictured models also some info on daves vintage bikes site and the flogging i got on this site. and the original catalog i bought recently. in essence alot of research.

Last edited:
There's some truth to Slick's question.
The HD Motocyke seems to be mostly a Davis built 'Sears Chief' bicycle repurposed for HD. The major parts are all identical (to the non-connoisseur at least), and the Chief came out first. The holes for the headbadge might have a different spacing - anyone know?
But I think Slick's question is 'What's in a name? A Motobike by any other name would ride as sweet.' Unless the name is Harley. And then it rides sweeter.
I think it comes down to how much of the mysticism you buy into concerning the specialness of something having been originally sold out the doors of a Harley dealership in the late teens.
It is frustrating that non-bonafide 'motocyke correct' imposters are so darn valuable. Because I'd like to own and ride one!

Last edited:
good question. I have the original sears catalog of the cheif moto bike. they essentually the same but the cheif has a single peice construction where the seat tube clamp is connected to the top tube. the harley has two peice. the peerless and the master were two peice but they are only regular bike frames. seems using this construction helps separate the two brands. also the drop stands are different because the adj screws are built different. the same applies to the dayton bikes except the head tubes have a large hole where the badges are applied.

Interesting stuff.
The seller of this bike obviously knew about Harley bikes. He refers to Harleys cast fork and truss rods, and how the sprocket had the "correct bevel" but no nickel left.
I feel sorry for the poor individual who paid big bucks for this look-alike.
Thanks everyone for all the helpful info...
PS. To make matters more confusing, the Motorcyke illustration in the Harley catalog that Redline refers to shows a different frame geometry, where the straight part of the top tube is NOT parallel to the bottom horizontal tube....
www.blackdotmetalwerks.com

Last edited:
Back