When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harry Wilson Sales Agency

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinn Sales West

I live for the CABE
So yesterday MRG delivered a pair of tires to me, and we got to talking about Schwinn Dealers of yesteryear. He was talking about the dealerships he knew as a kid growing up. I mentioned that the area where he was talking about was in the back yard of the local area Schwinn Authorized Distributor. The distributor was called the Harry Wilson Sales Agency. They represented the Schwinn Bicycle Company in Southern California and Arizona during the 50's and 60's (maybe even before?). They were located at 5959 Smithway in the City of Commerce, CA. Basically, it's where The Citadel shopping center is located today just off the 5 Freeway. It's near the old tire factory that became The Citadel.

At the time, Fair Trade pricing law were in effect. Schwinn felt strongly that they needed to improve their dealership network and they could not expect dealers to invest into their dealerships unless they could show them a profitable return on their investment. Schwinn had what they called a Suggested Retail Price. Not to be confused, they also had had Zone 1/2/3 prices for freight difference which was different. The Schwinn Suggested Retail Prices where Fair Trade Prices on bicycles. The government did not like what they saw as "price fixing". The pricing case went to the Supreme Court. I believe Levi Strauss joined Schwinn in the Supreme Court class action because they also had Fair Trade pricing.

The court eventually ruled that after Schwinn sold the bicycle to their regional independent distributor(s), it effectively "changed ownership hands" and they had no right to enforce their Fair-Trade Pricing after the independent distributor resold it to the retailing dealer. They could only enforce the prices, if they still owned the product. That was effectively the end of the long standing independently owned Schwinn Distributors. Schwinn Bicycle Company built a new "Factory Owned" Schwinn Sales Company in the City of Industry on Hacienda Blvd., just south of Valley Blvd. That business was called Schwinn Sales West. They had three other sales companies called Midwest, South and East.

It was a very sad time, very emotional because the independent distributors were like one big Schwinn Family. Harry Wilson Sales hosted the annual regional dealer awards dinners at the Steven's Steak House just down the street. It's still there today or was the last time I drove the 5 Fwy. This is were the dealers were awarded their 500 and 1000 club plaques for their annual sales. They also received their 500/1000 club gold pins that you sometimes see listed for trade today. They would have local celebrities attend these awards meetings. Andy Devine, and Bob Keshen (Captain Kangaroo) were some that I remember as a kid attending these meetings.

The Wilson family owned a large size ocean fishing boat that they docked. They somehow were told that fishing boats with shinny propellers attracted more fish. I guess it made sense to think that a fishing lure was shinny and it attracted fish. Well, you guessed it. Off came the two large propellers, and they crated them for shipment to the Schwinn Factory for a "free dip" in the Schwinn chroming tanks.

The 50's, 60's, and early 70's were a different time. Our family's dealership was the last stop of the day for our Harry Wilson sales rep. Norm Rankin, needed to finish our order in order to get the days parts orders into the mailbox in front of our store and make the last 5:00 PM mail pick up. He would roll in around 3:00 PM and ask if we were ready? We would have the office desk cleared off for him, and our parts order ready. He asked for as many part numbers as possible, not just descriptions he had to look up. He went down to the liquor store in the shopping center and bought a small bottle of Vodka and a bottle of Tonic. He came back, fixed himself a Vodka Tonic, and began writing our parts order. There was No Selling involved, give me your order, see you next month!

Schwwinn had a large national dealer convention. It was in Miami Florida. It was held at the then luxurious Fountain Blue Hotel. This was a good opportunety for Schwinn to push their Total Concept Dealership model. This is why all of you saw a similarity inside the show room of all of the dealerships. Well Schwinn went into the lower level parking garage in the Fountain Blue and built a (temporary) Schwinn Dealership showroom. The entire thing, including carpeted floors, Equipto parts drawers, service department, bicycles and accessories on the floor and walls. It was another cool trip for their dealers.

The Schwinn dealers, the Independently owned distributors, and the Schwinn Factory personnel were one large family. They had all of the normal drama that occurs in any big family. Some really good, enjoyable times, and some not much fun.

John

Interesting stuff John. Why didn’t Schwinn just make the independents sign dealer agreements barring them from selling below MSRP? Some of the companies I’ve worked for operate their dealer network this way. There is some turn over in the guys that want to play games but it protects the dealers that want to preserve the margins.

Interesting stuff John. Why didn’t Schwinn just make the independents sign dealer agreements barring them from selling below MSRP? Some of the companies I’ve worked for operate their dealer network this way. There is some turn over in the guys that want to play games but it protects the dealers that want to preserve the margins.
Pricing is always a touchy subject in multi level distribution channels.

Schwinn's "independents" were their (middlemen) distributors, they did not sell below suggested pricing. According to the court at the time, they would not allow prices to be established (and controlled) "two levels" above the retail consumer, if that makes sense.

The issue was with the government's trade laws, not undercutting dealerships.

We really did not have problems with "discount Schwinn dealerships" because the suggested Schwinn margins on a new bicycle were low, and the bicycle required a fair amount of dealer labor cost to get it from the box, assembled, and out the door. The Schwinn Company did a very good job of spacing out the Approved (at one time called Franchised) Dealerships, thanks to Ray Burch, V.P. Marketing. Each dealer was given a market area, and Schwinn required a market analysis to determine the number of dealerships needed to service the size of the market potential. They did not approve every bicycle store that wanted to be a Schwinn Dealership. I believe the dealers appreciated the market support they received, and self-policed themselves.

John

Thanks.

By the way, love your C.O.E.!

John
Hello John,

Of course I have stacks and stacks and boxes and boxes of Schwin catalogues and binders from Wilson Sales. I actively started picking these up in the 1970s. My earliest actual photo of Wilson Sales was taken in downtown Los Angeles in the 1930s or earlier. At that time it was only a few blocks away from the magnificent Earle C. Anthony Packard dealership (located on Hope Street at Tenth– now Olympic Blvd.).

I will attach a cover and a page from the 1950 Harry Wilson Sales catalogue. These were distributed only to dealers and primarily contained Schwinn stuff. Of course I have Wilson Sales catalogues going back many years earlier than this one.

RE: the "Citadel" shopping mall site on I-5/Santa Ana Freeway... Yes, it was formerly a rubber plant for one of the big tire makers, but before that it was home to Samson Rubber and Tire Company. They supplied bicycle tires to... (wait for it) ... Mead Cycle Company for RANGER bicycles in the teens and twenties. They were even mentioned in Mead Cycle literature (and of course you know I have almost every year of Mead as well).

I also knew James Mead III and featured him as a special guest at one of my Balloonatic Classic Bicycle meets. These were serious 2-day events with vintage bicycle ride on the Santa Ana River, vintage bicycle movies from my Bicycle Movie Collection (this goes well back to the 1930s), a slide show (today it would be PowerPoint) and a big swap meet on the final day. A good friend of mine still lives in the magnificent Pasadena mansion that once belonged to Samson's owner.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America (NBHAA.com)

SchwinnDistributorHarryWilsonCAT2.jpeg

SchwinnDistributorHarryWilsonLeonDixon:NBHAAWM.jpeg

Last edited:
Leon,
Thank you for your contribution to this thread. You have no idea how much I appreciate you being able to "fill in" the missing pieces with both your extensive memory of the times, and your great collection of bicycle memorabilia.

Somehow the seemingly small insignificant things we witnessed as kids growing up, now seem "pretty cool". I have to ask myself when us Baby Boomers are no longer able to remember the great times of the 50's and 60's, who's going to be able to "fill in the missing pieces"? As bicycle enthusiasts, (IMO) it's our "unwritten responsibility" to help tell the real story about the history. Not all of the history is good, or fun, but as historians we have to tell it as it happened good, or bad.

I think the power of the CABE is the ability to bring so many different views and interests, so much firsthand experience, so much documentation to one spot, and let it be shared with the new enthusiast's that have no idea how the bicycle hobby evolved to what we have today. I have been lucky to have spent my early days and normal working career in several different industries. I started in the automotive repair industry, have worked as both a bicycle dealer, and worked in the bicycle sales and distribution industry. After working for Schwinn/Scott Sports, I worked in the motorcycle distribution industry, and finally as a service manager for a large volume motorcycle dealership. For the past twenty years I have been very active the Vintage Camper Trailer restoration hobby. For some unknown reason, bicycles keep sucking me back, it's fun talking to people about bicycles, they are different than any other vehicle I have sold or serviced in my 76 years.

Thanks again for your input.

John Palmer

Back