When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has any one had success bending vintage pedals back in to shape?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Beautiful work.

One would not have guessed there to be yet remaining plating beneath the "battle ship grey" paint.

-----

I'm still having some trouble removing the bolts on the second pedal, and that is the reason for the delay. I got one of them off, but the other three are still stuck. I have some penetrating oil applied, and am waiting for them to free up. If they do not free up in the next couple days I will drill the heads off the bolts and replace them. If the pedals did not have those little ribs on the inside this process would have been much easier. With the ribs I probably only have about a 1/16" of a area to grab with my needle nose pliers, and my multiple attempts have begun to round off the gripping corners on those tiny nuts. With the way the pedal is bent I do not have much room to work with. I'm thinking the bolt heads will probably need to be drilled off.

Two of the nuts and bolts on the set are not original anyways, so there is really no loss.

Whenever I work on anything, I always try to do the hardest portions first, that way you know what your getting into and the task at hand becomes more enjoyable as it progresses.

The way I cleaned up the rubber on the first pedal, is I whacked off all the crud on a wire wheel with a few very light passes, and then made a few additional passes on a spindle sander as the rubber was slightly deformed and I wanted to bring them back to shape and reduce the size of the missing chunks of rubber. That's why you can not see any of the tiny ribbing present on the rubber of the first pedal that was completed. Those ribs described can be seen in the fist photo of this topic, but for the most part they were already worn off from use.

First picks in:

Its not the same order I did the first pedal in, but I wanted to get just a little bit of the work done. I did some minor paint removal and the start of initial polish. The real work will begin once I get the rubber pads off. (Once i got the first bolt free, I put it back on loosly so it does not get lost). This is just a quick pass on a light thin wired brass wire reel that I atatched to my grinder, and some very fine steel wool to remove the gold tone left over by the brass wheel Once I get the rubber inserts off, I will rebend the frames to shape, and polish them up with a cotton cloth wheel and some polishing compound. I also whipped some of the crud of the exposed rubber surfaces. After just a few minutes of work, the problem pedal already looks much nicer.
1.JPG

2.JPG

Last edited:
Back