When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF A COMET ENGLISH RACER?

-

racer58

On Training Wheels
Hoping to find some information about this chain guard I found in an old barn when cleaning out. It has COMET ENGLISH RACER painted on it. I have searched without any success, except for a post on The CABE about the COMET cycle co. in Canada in the late 1800s. As you can see, this is in very good condition.
Thanks in advance for your help on this!!

comet.jpg

comet1.jpg

That looks about 1950-60s to me. Probably one of the many post war imports. V/r Shawn

"English Racer" is conspicuously American term for a roadster, so certainly built for the American market. A lot of bikes of this type were also sourced from Germany and other areas of Europe---no reason to think that it was actually English. It might have been an American company cashing in on the post-war popularity of the 3 speed roadster.

Comet racing frame from Aukland, New Zealand.

I'm inclined to think it was an English import, not German, due to the the chainguard's ample coverage and black finish. It looks similar to a Hercules chainguard. German chain guards were typically lighter and more minimalist, often ending halfway down the chain stay, and usually aluminum or painted silver.

i had a 1971 mercury comet , just like a ford maverick it was a great car untill wife number one pulled out directly onto the path of an oncoming motorist and tore the front end off of it ! i fixed the car but the wife was still careless as she could be ! we divorced about a year later ! i wish i still had the car but the wife not so much ! if the rest of the bike matches the graphics its most likely a nice bike middle of the road english bike good luck with the machine

'Comet' was a model name used by Royal Enfield, James, R.O.Harrison and possibly others for some of their bicycles at various times from.the 1930's to the 1960's.
Could be a USA market variation for one of their offerings?

Back