When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone built a Twin Bar from a Schwinn cantilever frame?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I just purchased this Schwinn Cruiser Seven for the Shimano Nexus 7 speed internal hub wheel set, with the idea of selling off the remainder of the bike to cover the purchase cost.

I'd love to own an Elgin Twin Bar, but they're more money than I care to spend, and I've heard bad things about the flexibility of the frame. A bicycle that I'm worried about breaking because of how expensive it is, combined with it flexing and making me worry? No, thank you.

The idea of a Schwinn Twin Bar came to mind and I started thinking through it.

4C1B97C4-E484-4FA7-B419-18A09E0A100A (1).jpg

Note: I'm writing this because I know absolutely nothing of structural engineering and because I want input on structural engineering. Take any "I think" or "it should" statements with that massive grain of salt.

I see two big issues with getting rid of the seat post:
1. A significant amount of weight is being placed on the frame at a point without structural bracing.
2. You've made this major structural compromise and the aesthetic advantage of it is hidden mostly by your legs!

If we remove the seat from that position, both of these problems are solved, at least somewhat.

The visual of the rack isn't bad. I was thinking about a custom cushion to go on top of it, with the intended sitting position above the rear axle. That way, the majority of the weight is supported by the axle, rather than the frame.

Has anyone tried something like this? What are your thoughts about structural stability? What major issues, other than those of having another bike in the house, am I missing here?

Break out the hacksaw or angle grinder and test it out! There will be more flex and wiggling, but you can see just how much before you commit to the whole project. You can still sell of the other bits if you want to.

I'm not an engineer, so like you said I won't comment on structure, but...there were a lot of Elgin Twin bars made and a lot still exist. I think the flex on original is somewhat of a myth. They ride great, built like a tank, just don't go jumping with them (or any old bike). That being said if you can live without all Twin extras, the frames are fairly easy to come by and not a lot of money. It's when you start talking "all original" it gets scary (trust me ,I know). Sell off your parts bike and check around for a Elgin twin frame, usually under $400 with wheels, sprocket etc. Less if you get just a frame. Ether way good luck and have fun !

I'm not an engineer, so like you said I won't comment on structure, but...there were a lot of Elgin Twin bars made and a lot still exist. I think the flex on original is somewhat of a myth. They ride great, built like a tank, just don't go jumping with them (or any old bike). That being said if you can live without all Twin extras, the frames are fairly easy to come by and not a lot of money. It's when you start talking "all original" it gets scary (trust me ,I know). Sell off your parts bike and check around for a Elgin twin frame, usually under $400 with wheels, sprocket etc. Less if you get just a frame. Ether way good luck and have fun !
Seriously? I must be looking in all the wrong places!

Seriously? I must be looking in all the wrong places!
I bought one in January that had been for sale on line for a month for $450. Nice frame, good but incorrect seat, nice wheels and tires, bars, a rider when I picked it up. Missing the head shroud, crank shroud, no chain guard, no rack and oh no fenders or kick stand or original Elgin grips. Still a good looking bike without all that stuff. I did add most of that, gave me something to hunt down during covid and no swap meets. Here's a not bad deal that may or may not still be available, but gives you an idea. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/elgin-twin-bar-frame-set-and-wheels.169999/

There are a lot of bikes more susceptible to breaking than a Elgin Twin--post war Monark's come to mind. I had a Twin and rode the heck out of it and never noticed flex. I would waste my time trying to weld one these Chinese bikes. If you want a Twin save some coin and get a frame like F&P said. V/r Shawn

I did it!

A0FB42A0-0821-4B0D-BA96-989387F9324A.jpeg

The lines work even better than I had hoped.

Yes, there is some flex, but less than my girl’s 1935 Silver King - not that that is saying much. I feel comfortable using it as a rider, but definitely not with my weight sitting over where the seat post was.

For what it’s worth, I weigh a good bit more than the average rider that these bikes were designed for - at least in 1935.

I did it!

View attachment 1307221

The lines work even better than I had hoped.

Yes, there is some flex, but less than my girl’s 1935 Silver King - not that that is saying much. I feel comfortable using it as a rider, but definitely not with my weight sitting over where the seat post was.

For what it’s worth, I weigh a good bit more than the average rider that these bikes were designed for - at least in 1935.
It definitely improves the looks of the cantilever frames. You know you could weld flat bar under the top tubes; either in sections or 1 solid piece to stiffen it. Mind if I ask what you paid for the bike? I have the exact girl's model I bought for an ex for $75 minus a rack (If it came with 1?). I need to replace the push button shifter though. Debating the Nexus 7 swap to my Nirve Switchblade until it's motored.

It definitely improves the looks of the cantilever frames. You know you could weld flat bar under the top tubes; either in sections or 1 solid piece to stiffen it. Mind if I ask what you paid for the bike? I have the exact girl's model I bought for an ex for $75 minus a rack (If it came with 1?). I need to replace the push button shifter though. Debating the Nexus 7 swap to my Nirve Switchblade until it's motored.
I paid $90, delivered. It’s a solid bike, but not as nice as it looks. It spent a good bit of time outside.

I think the prospect of a wheel set that you can just swap into any number of bikes and have a range of gears alone is worth a good bit.

I paid $90, delivered. It’s a solid bike, but not as nice as it looks. It spent a good bit of time outside.

I think the prospect of a wheel set that you can just swap into any number of bikes and have a range of gears alone is worth a good bit.
Not bad at all. Mine has some dings & scuffs but not complaining vs what I seen the Nexus 7 going for online alone & useable parts. Guy said he was selling his gf's bike since she didn't ride it & had he known it was like $350+ he said he wished he listed it higher. I was thinking of using an aluminum La Jolla bicycle frame tube to convert it into a boys top bar bike; notch the top tube to the seat post & around the goose neck bolted on since can't weld aluminum. Jus' haven't ground the aluminum welds down & actually decided it's worth the hassle. Currently debating using the fenders & parts for a '53 Monark Rocket or an early post war CWC Roadmaster which I want to convert into a straight bar since it's original but has break at the seat tube & crank. It'll be all steel & welded proper.

Back