When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone built a Twin Bar from a Schwinn cantilever frame?

-
I don't know about 250 lbs on most standard bikes but as long as all the weight isn't on where the seat tube is removed it should be fine. On twin tube stuff like cantilevers the seat tube helps distribute the weight to keep it from collapsing/cracking the frames. They're engineered almost like a car's leaf spring but not meant to flex via seat tube. I say too much weight over the rear tire or tires in your case of a trike conversion & it will wheelie or pop up. I would still try to go in front of the axle and after the original seat post as my main weight point
I actually sat over the axle during one of my figuring stages and it didn't feel like the trike wanted to wheelie. If it does wheelie though, I may just put some wheelie bars on the back, because hey, who wouldn't want a trike that can do wheelies on command?

I'll definitely take your advice though and test the seating position out when I can find someone who can help me put this trike together. Thanks for the input.

I actually sat over the axle during one of my figuring stages and it didn't feel like the trike wanted to wheelie. If it does wheelie though, I may just put some wheelie bars on the back, because hey, who wouldn't want a trike that can do wheelies on command?

I'll definitely take your advice though and test the seating position out when I can find someone who can help me put this trike together. Thanks for the input.
Not a problem man. It may not wheelie but I can't say I know of any 250 lb dudes sitting right at the axles on a bicycle or trike. Wheelie bars are jus' cool anyways and if necessity a must. A lot of motorized bikes need them once they're making any kinda real power

Not a problem man. It may not wheelie but I can't say I know of any 250 lb dudes sitting right at the axles on a bicycle or trike. Wheelie bars are jus' cool anyways and if necessity a must. A lot of motorized bikes need them once they're making any kinda real power
Well, this one's going to pedal-powered. It'll look and sound motorized, but I'll be the one powering this trike when it's done.

Wheelie bars and wheelies? How can you possibly go wrong?

i’m seeing a bobber seat in the space between frame and fender, with a mount up front and springs attached to mounts welded to the seat stays

View attachment 1311977

I do like that idea, and the shape of the seat may be just the direction I go, but I want the seat position further back. (I want to be able to show off the lack of seat post and better distribute the weight.)

Well, I'm mostly hoping to figure this out for my Poison Apple muscle trike build. I don't know if you saw the latest update to it, but I'm thinking of removing the seat tube and original top tube, and converting the frame into a boy's cantilever style frame, sans seat tube, but with the headset angled back and the tank portion all welded to the frame. Like this bike, I plan to put the seat over the rear axle, except mine's a trike, and the rear axle is behind the bike frame. I want to know if my idea would still be strong and rigid enough to work, especially with a 250lb guy riding it.

You’re only about 10 pounds over where I am, so I hope my data may be useful.

I am actually liking placement behind the rear axle - I am just trying to figure out how to support it. Here’s, visually, the best idea I have so far. I apologize for the mess.

68E874C5-EC71-4C24-86B9-C36F63421710.jpeg

809AE325-9E26-4FCA-A6A9-C63AE2022763.jpeg

I don't think you're gonna enjoy riding the bike like that. The riding position will be extremely awkward. Maybe with some really long handle bars and some kind of back rest. But then obviously keeping the front end on the ground is going to be a challenge, you might need like a wheelie bar.

I don't think you're gonna enjoy riding the bike like that. The riding position will be extremely awkward. Maybe with some really long handle bars and some kind of back rest. But then obviously keeping the front end on the ground is going to be a challenge, you might need like a wheelie bar.
Your point about balance is well taken, and moving to a point over the rear axle or forward is probably a good idea.

As for comfort: I’m 6’8”. Just about everything is a bit awkward, and I am used to it. Some things a bit more awkward than others, yes, but so it goes.

Thank you for that suggestion.

Your point about balance is well taken, and moving to a point over the rear axle or forward is probably a good idea.

As for comfort: I’m 6’8”. Just about everything is a bit awkward, and I am used to it. Some things a bit more awkward than others, yes, but so it goes.

Thank you for that suggestion.
Can I call you Brother Lurch from now on? Lol. Damn man I imagine if it's not a stretched out limo bike it is awkward riding most anything. Monkey on a coconut feeling? That's me on like most 20" & 24" bikes or anything with a lifted seat post and I'm 5'8"

Back