When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone changed front chain ring

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

phantom

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Anyone changed the OE chain ring on a 52 tooth Phantom to a 46 tooth Clover leaf type?

oh yea, but think the clovers are mostly 48's. Give you a bit more low-end power.
Thanks, I did mean 48......I like the look, I want more low end and there is room in the dropouts to pull the wheel back a tad. I don't want to change the rear cog as I am sure that will entail making adjustments to the chain.

there are other smaller sweetheart sprockets, not that Phantom's had them.

Thanks, I did mean 48......I like the look, I want more low end and there is room in the dropouts to pull the wheel back a tad. I don't want to change the rear cog as I am sure that will entail making adjustments to the chain.
Replacing either the chainring or rear cog will probably require a lengthening or shortening of the chain.

If you want a lower gear I am thinking that changing the chainring will mean removing a link and a half of chain (or more) and be a much more labor intensive solution. If you have ever fought a fixed bearing cone on a Schwinn crank then you know what I mean...

I just changed the 18T r. cog on a Deluxe cruiser to a 20T for a customer and they liked the improvement in the easier pedaling. I needed to add a link and a half of chain - time in the repair stand was about 10 minutes.

Last edited:
I’d change the rear sprocket,I’ve done it on a few bikes. Changing from an 18 or 19T to a 22T makes a huge difference and you can keep the cool
looking 52T front sprocket.
Currently has a 21 on the rear and 52 on front. I am going to a 48 Clover leaf. I'll get the gear I'm wanting and as a bonus I get the preferred look that I like better.

Back