When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone seen one of these levers ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

phantom

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I can't recall ever seeing this lever on a bike I have had. Lever up and wheel is able to drop between the pads to remove. Lever down and normal braking. This is on a 71 Racer.

Schwinn Approved Type LS2.8 I have never seen the lever before and I have seen a ton of Schwinn LW and MW front calipers over the years. It's a first for me.

Thanks for getting me to Bluebird status though.

Last edited:
Dia Compe was big on them, my brother uses a type of release like that on his Laser 3000 BMX.
I may have aeen them on Weinmann brakes as well, I will look at my old brake collection.

I agree that the brakes are either Weinmann or Dia-Compe.
I don't know who they are made by. The Caliper just says Schwinn approved on it. I have seen hundreds of the same caliper on LW Schwinn 3 speeds, just none with the dropout release function. My guess is someone who took the front wheel off on a regular basis to get the bike in a car added this to make it easier.

-----

if you would wish to know which vendor contract produced the caliper you should be able to read markings on the backside of the caliper arms

here is the backside of a W model 730 from 1978 as an example -

1660602389753.png

in this case the date is marked in a clockface type symbol which also gives the month of fabrication

here is a closeup view of the front of the same caliper

1660602693427.png

the QR mechanism on the subject caliper is a DC one
the W QR mechanism at the time of the bicycle lacks the black covering on the lever

suspect caliper will be W produced and QR added subsequently

here is a W parts drawing for the sidepull caliper from a manufacturer catalogue of 1971
one can see what the W caliper mounted QR mechanism (#66) looked like at that epoch

1660603465721.png

-----

Last edited:
I'm not all that interested in maker marks etc. I had just never seen one on a Schwinn LW or MW or ever posted here before and I still believe it's rare, but thanks for your technical info.

No one was able to show me another one except in a diagram so I still have to believe they are rare or they are all over the place and people just don't have time to send a picture. Either way, I am now curious about this set up on a rear caliper. I have never seen these before, and that is no indication they are rare either, just that I have never seen them.

Back