When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

has anyone seen one of these?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Whilst researching my latest find, a 60's Vindec.

I came across some Toc advertising from the manufacturers Brown Brothers Ltd of London.
They were obviously U.K. agents for New Departure products, one of which featured this cyclometer
Seems like a sensible idea in terms of avoiding damage to the instrument, but crazy in terms of readabilty.
Has anyone seen one or have one fitted on a bicycle?
Would love to see photos of one.
Thanks.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Im040630CTR-Brown.jpg

WP_20170426_16_27_03_Pro.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Im189904CTC-Brown.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Im040630CTR-Brown.jpg

The more common New Departure cyclometer mounted in the fork with the striker on a spoke. I wonder if this design was sold abroad because of infringement on the Lucas design:

IMG_7085.JPG

departure-cyclometer-1899-iob-bristol_1_61a3277bbc7381a3feed94dfff6b8b5f.jpg

I almost bought it cuz it was so cool. Trying not to buy stuff I don't absolutely need tho. Bet it'll be a loooong time before another pops up.
Yeah, I thought they were rare when finding the old advert.
Nice to know that there is still stuff like this still out there.
I try not to look at the for sale section due to the currency exchange rate and postage /import charges.
If I lived on your side of the pond, I would be a very poor man, and she wouldn't be too happy at my burgeoning collection!

The more common New Departure cyclometer mounted in the fork with the striker on a spoke. I wonder if this design was sold abroad because of infringement on the Lucas design:

View attachment 456903
I have seen these on some period machines over here, but don't know if they're original to those machines or later additions.
Brown Brothers seem to have sold a wide range from New Departure and others.
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Im19040323Cyc-Brown.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Im19050817CT-Brown.jpg

This last advert is from 1925 and they were still offering that cyclometer for the princely sum of 7 shillings (35 pence in todays money!)
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Im19250306MCT-Bro.jpg

Whilst researching my latest find, a 60's Vindec.

I came across some Toc advertising from the manufacturers Brown Brothers Ltd of London.
They were obviously U.K. agents for New Departure products, one of which featured this cyclometer
Seems like a sensible idea in terms of avoiding damage to the instrument, but crazy in terms of readabilty.
Has anyone seen one or have one fitted on a bicycle?
Would love to see photos of one.
Thanks.

View attachment 456822

View attachment 456824

View attachment 456825

View attachment 456826

Wow - One was offered at the Swap Meet at Copake ! I have seen a lot of odd ball stuff but that {at Copake} was the first time I have ever seen a New Departure T.O.C. hub cyclometer - now here is a discussion !!!

Glenn

Back