When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have I identified it Correctly? '39 BF Goodrich by Schwinn?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mikeamondo

On Training Wheels
Hi folks.... newbie to the forum here. I'm a buyer and seller of anything cool that catches my eye, and I picked up this bike at a yard sale today.... After researching, I think it's a 1939 based on the serial number, B59811, stamped on the bottom of the crank housing..... but other than that, I know nothing about these bikes. This one just caught my eye. Here a link to a dropbox full of pics.... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z2hy2yqd8rxfnac/AABS5zOMt1Koxy2oq0bofDJCa?dl=0

So.... I'd appreciate your expert opinions and insight on the following questions...
1. Am I right on the year?
2. How original does this look? What parts have been changed?
3. What is the best way to resell it? I'm not in a position to restore something right now... My regular market is eBay.
4. What things should I focus on when selling and what things would I want to make sure to list to be fair to a buyer. Any thoughts on value?
5. What other cool stuff can you tell me about it?

My favorite thing is finding a gem, enjoying for a bit of time and passing it on to someone who willl truly love it.... and of course, making a few dollars along the way!

IMG_5228.JPG

Like Wes said this bike is post war--drop outs and built in kickstand tell you that. Its been repainted, its a girls bike, wrong seat and a base model as Wes said. Not much value here. Probably better off CL or LETGO on this one because shipping would cost as much as the bike is worth if not more. V/r Shawn

Well Bummer .... guess I'll have to cancel that bike-funded vacation I just booked....

So now it's learnin' time. Can you point me to a pic showing the differences in the drop out? I do a decent amount of auctioning and yard saleing and I'd like to know what to look for. Also, are there other specific design elements that always catch your eye to identify old, prewar bikes?

I had gotten carried away by the serial number seeming to fit prewar... But then found these Schwinn post war serial numbers charts on another thread....
1948 to 1951
1952 to 1969
1970 to 1982
So this list puts my B serial number as a March 1952 build. Does that seem to match the pics of the bike? As many details as I can add in a listing will help find a buyer. Hoping to get it so some one who will appreciate it.... since it's not going to send us to Maui.
Thanks!

BTW the drop out thing only holds for Schwinn. Other manufacturers continued using rear facing drop outs well into the 50s. A skip tooth chain is not a 'tell' either. Again, Schwinn, and others, used these well into the '50s. Generally what you are looking for are boys full deluxe bikes i.e. horn tank, headlight, deluxe pedals, seat, etc... To make it even more fun some of the iconic bikes were reproduced e.g. Phantom, Luxury Liner, and Five Star Superb.

Repaints or wrong/missing parts can kill value. Correct seats easily run $200-300 and tanks can run into the thousands. There are tons of online resources to learn from as well as a lot of good print material you can buy to familiarize yourself with all the different brands and models. There is no accurate value guide for classic bikes. The "Blue Book" that was done 30 years ago was as useless then as it is today. Like any collectible desirability, originality, and condition will all drive the price along with other factors such as location, colors, etc...

Lastly a cautionary note. Most of the members here are more than willing to help with answering questions. Some of us have devoted thousands of hours studying the bikes. Market conditions fluctuate just as with anything else and what is 'hot' today may not be so good tomorrow. It is easy to wear out a welcome if you post every bike you run across and ask "what is it and how much is it worth?". Good luck in your search and hopefully you will find that bike to send you on vacation! V/r Shawn

I have only the utmost respect for these forums and the enthusiasts who use them! Thanks for info and the resources. I now have another item I've learned a bit about and can come watch for in the future. I promise I'll do my best to not wear out my welcome! As for my yard sale find bike... I have all of $8 in it, so no great loss. It's way to cool to let it go to the junk yard, so I'll post it on CL or Facebook and see if I can find a new home for it with someone who may want to give it another life.... and the info I've gained here will help me do that! Thanks to all!

Chicago Schwinn serial numbers were located in 3 different locations over the years and that will give you some indication of the period that the bikes were manufactured. I believe your bike is a 46 model with that number located on the bottom bracket. That late in 1952, (B59811) the SN's were on the left rear drop out.

Back