When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you ever run into someone from your distant past on a ride?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was riding with my bike club when we stopped for lunch. I met a wood working teaching (partner) from thirty-five years earlier. I asked him about a story I heard about himself and a burning car.
He was was driving behind car that was hit by a drunk. He told his son that he didn't have to help. He left and started to drag burning people from the car until it exploded. His son pulled him out. The rest of the occupants were burned up. The drunk was unhurt.
He was on crutches because of a useless foot. Unrelated to the accident, he got a rare disease (condition) that ate up the bones in his one foot so they moved around and made his foot into a stump.
Because of our summer work together, I built a wood shop in my basement and this has been my favorite hobby ever since. He never knew this. Chance meetings change lives.

Last edited:
I can't leave you with such a just this depressing story above. My girlfriend who became my wife rode to a gravel strip mine that's part of a river park in Wilmington, Illinois. A sand bar was like a beach except that it had an abandoned, giant, drag scoop that was open but buried. We dug out a hole so that we could get inside this iron room. It was so easy that we probably weren't the first couple who got to be alone on this crowded beach. You know what happened next. We didn't try to meet anyone before riding our bikes back to the car. Great memory.

Not on a ride, but when I was in the USMC, I was in Rota Spain in a bar - suddenly I was shoved to the floor, I turned expecting a brawl - but it was my younger brother (also a Marine)! Got totally drunk and I didn’t see him again for months!

Again, not on a ride but still cool! I taught aviation and traveled all over the world many time over and met tons of people!
Taught a course in New Zealand and ended up getting along pretty good with one of my students Doug Oaks Fast forward, my friends and family were visiting “Sturbridge Village” (a 1700’s reproduction villiage)!

I came out of the General Store and this guy Doug Oaks was trying to enter the same door! Crazy, apparently he met an American, married her and moved to a very small town in Moodus Ct!!

Last Sunday I was out for a long ride the bike trail along the lakeshore and had stopped for a quick shot of coffee ( another reason for a saddle bag )

while enjoying the view I heard someone call my name and was more than surprised to find myself facing someone from “ the old neighborhood” who I’d not seen in about 34 years.

what’s worse is that he was riding one of my old bikes!

and second gear still wasn’t working.

it was fun catching up.

Back