When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Haven't seen one like this. JC Higgins SN - How do I decode?

-

1664761165194.png

24 inch wheels?
Either the tank isn't original or bars and seat have been added.
Serial number should be on the LH rear drop out. If I remember right the first section of digits are the model number.
There are digital forms of the Sears, jc Penney, and Wards catalogs posted online. Nothing organized enough to search by model number, but if you search for "bicycle" on their site and go year by year, you'll eventually come across your model number in the catalog text(that is not digitized) and get an idea of what parts were originally installed.
I found the sears catalog, looks like the one posted by another newbie. So my question now is do I restore it with the mods as those are from the same period, possibly from the sears catalog (seat) or do I put it back where there seems to be a lot of stock bikes. It seems to me the mod version would be cooler as it is still from an earlier period, transitional time toward the Stingray... Stock almost seems too easy, but I want it to still be "right"

I found the sears catalog, looks like the one posted by another newbie. So my question now is do I restore it with the mods as those are from the same period, possibly from the sears catalog (seat) or do I put it back where there seems to be a lot of stock bikes. It seems to me the mod version would be cooler as it is still from an earlier period, transitional time toward the Stingray... Stock almost seems too easy, but I want it to still be "right"
Here's a similar setup....

similar.jpg

It's also missing the plastic shroud on the chainring, the seat was probably red w/silver trim, the front fender might of had a plastic rocket ornament. The Liner and Flyer models depending which one had different trim and ornaments.

View attachment 1705817

View attachment 1705818

View attachment 1705819

View attachment 1705820

View attachment 1705821

View attachment 1705822
Flightliner never came with the sprocket spinner, the Flightliner predates the Solar Flite, which was the design used on the Spaceliner and all of the other Murray built bikes like yours, which had the sprocket spinner - which was only used on the space weight frames, introduced in 1963. I am pretty certain the last year of the Flightliner was 1963 or 64. When all the models of the "Space Weight" frame were released.

The Western Auto version was the Astro Flight, I believe. Murray also had a Strato Flight and a couple others, depending on the paint scheme.

@jd56 knows a bit about these as well.

From the 1963 catalog.

my old 1963 Flying O, Lancer.

If you are going to 'restore' it, then you would want the original seat type, which was the single saddle, not the banana seat, which weren't around until a few years after this bike was made.

If you are going to 'restomod' it, then your canvas is open to do what you want. From personal experience, I would recommend getting it ridable first then seeing if you want to dump the time and money into it.

I never like the feel of the ride of my Murray built middleweights and sold all of them. A lot of folks love them, they are good looking bikes, I just don't like how they ride.

View attachment 1705832
This one looks like a perfect version. I like my pedals better. Looks like I need the front fender seat and rear rack to be right. The BB is perfect. Love that the ball bearings look new and are older than I am. I'll repack, adjust and see if I can lose the play I felt. The headset feels tight but I'm going to repack it nonetheless. I tested the headlight bulbs with a 9 volt battery and burned out the good one (duh). Rust in the battery housing.. cleaned most, but might just wrap it in tinfoil and be done. I don't see any hub spinners like mine. Thanks for the instruction and advice you guys... Also I need one spoke for the front wheel... How do I know what size? I'd probably be okay buying a few, I guess the front may not have 2 sizes like the rear might... Font Axle seems really wide, was there some sort of festoon in addition to the fender?

Back