When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawaii

-

Barkeep

Finally riding a big boys bike
Any vintage bicycle related places I should go, bike shops, honey holes etc? I'll be in Maui for 10 days starting tomorrow and would love to get my fix while I'm there. And if any islanders read this and want me to bring anything I leave later today so let me know!!!

Any vintage bicycle related places I should go, bike shops, honey holes etc? I'll be in Maui for 10 days starting tomorrow and would love to get my fix while I'm there. And if any islanders read this and want me to bring anything I leave later today so let me know!!!

..He's in a tropical paradise, and he's thinking about bikes? ...now there's a true bike enthusiast!

There are a few vintage bicycle guys in Hawaii. I know there is one guy with a few Mead Rangers.

I would say there is much in the way of bike shops

But if you do any MTB riding, do spring for the Volcano down hill bike ride. Make a day of it. You have to leave at 3am
It was well worth sitting through the time share video.:cool:

Abe, I am doing the volcano ride for sure. I'm thinking of renting bikes and riding down at my own pace... That way I can cut off the road and explore if I get the itch.

The thing with the volcano

The tour the sends you on you own, you have a driver that takes you to the top to see the sun rise at about 5am Then they drop you off right outside the National park, there will be a lot of other riders there from other tours (some do have a guide, especially the little kid tours) . A good bike with front and rear brakes is needed. Also warm clothing and helmet, gloves. Also it is cool as heck in the morning. You actually do go down at your own pace, just drop off the bike when you get to the city. We stopped and had breakfast at a small cafe about half way down.
You actually don't ever have a guide, you kind of just have to know how to ride a bike and hit rear brake. Also watch out for Cows on the road.

I imagine if you rent bike, just go for the day rental. They find a driver that will take you to the drop off point. It better to ride in the morning.
Or if you find someone you know through here maybe they would help you out.

Man I saw the cost for the bike trip.

We went and sat through a hard sell time share for 1 hour. Got two tours, we got the turtles boat and the bike tour, the way to sit through the time share thing is get early in the morning. Keep saying no, get your free tours. It was a good vs playing 200$+ for some day adventures.

Last edited:
There's a lil surf shop next quicksilver in whalers village in kanapali ,Maui . There's a killer green phantom all original with front brake etc ... see if Ya can talk them to sell it owner is cool i tried 2 months ago but Ya never know bud .

Cruising my Prewar Schwinn [emoji605]

It cracks me up how few of bikes are for sale on Craigslist in Maui. There tends to be about 30 bikes total, and all Wallymart stuff. I typically go twice a year and never have found something worth shipping home. Been there about twenty times and try every single time. I even devote every Saturday morning when I'm there to garage sales. I have found some good smalls to bring back doing that. I'm a Princeville guy so the garage sales are PRIMO.

Back