When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne 5 bar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Last Saturday I purchased 4 bikes. A Hawthorne 5 bar, 1946 Columbia, a late 30s girls Western Flyer and a ? year Huffman.

001.JPG

The first thing I did was part out the girls Western Flyer, and save the springer to put on the 5 bar.
004.JPG

The next thing was to cut down and re thread the girls fork to fit a boys bike.
Then disassemble the 5 bar.

Then apply Parks paint stripper and then power wash the 5 bar frame. Apply stripper again and scrape the frame and then power wash once more.Finally power wire brush the frame and then sand......three coats of paint on one crusty old frame ....gone:o

One problem did surface:(....a crack. right where the bottom 2nd bar attaches to the seat post down bar. It had been cracked and re brazed at one time. who ever did it did a decent job but it cracked again. I think a lot of these bikes went to the scrapyard early because of this.
It's no wonder not many of these bikes survive.
I will not pile on more brazing rod on this as it will only be more noticeable and will crack again.
From my hot rod days there is a product that we used, good old "J.B.Weld" It's the best thing since canned beer. What I intend to do is block off the seatpost down tube about 3/4 s way down by shoving some steel wool down there. Then fill the whole tube with the J.B.[ leaving just enough room to put the seat post in] then shove a 3/8 steel rod in the center and let harden......problem solved:)

Today I painted the frame black. ....and went down to the hidden underground parts bunker beneath Colson Command and dug out some "Monkey wards" Riverside Mate tires. Wish they were whitewalls but this is close to what this bike had on the day it left the factory. I'll keep you posted....
002.jpg

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 230
Hawthorne Saturday [Springer Madness]

After installing the cut down springer in the 5 bar it made me feel soooooo good.
I thought what the heck,"Let's put one in the double bar Hawthorne I picked up last Sunday!"
I went down to the hidden underground parts bunker[beneath Colson Command] where sure enough I dug out 2 old forgotten girls springers! I cut one down and now the double bar matches the 5 bar.
I placed the cut off pieces on top the front tire to show the amounts that have to be removed from the truss rods and fork tube.
Lastly, here is a shot of another Hawthorne that has been collecting dust. I wanted to put fenders on it this past week but could not find a set arched braces that look so good on these bikes.

I know I have them some where............:)
002.jpg
003.jpg
001.jpg
007.JPG

These last two pictures are the "before" photos of the 5 bar and double bar Hawthornes.
Since I am on a springer kick today I am going to cut down a girls Monark fork this afternoon for the 46 Columbia . That will be different......

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 170
I like what you're doing. Keep posting the progress pics. On a side note, I want to visit the "underground parts bunker".

Back