When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne badged Silver King Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Alienbaby17

Finally riding a big boys bike
A friend sent me a text yesterday and asked me if I wanted a pair of “old cruiser frames.” Initially I saw one was a Silver King and told him he could probably sell it for some real cash. He insisted that he was too busy to deal with it and told me if I could make a buck on it that I could have it. I couldn’t turn that down and got in the car.

When I got there I noticed right away that the frame had been repaired twice and rather crudely at that. I’d come across town at that point and I’d never had a Silver King so I still gladly accepted the frames. The repairs are ugly but probably solid. If I was going to ride it I would leave them alone. If I was just going to display it I might be tempted to clean them up.

The frame is a Hawthorne badged bike. I understand they were made my Monark Silver King and are very similar to the Monark branded bikes.

I have some questions.

I was under the impression that Silver Kings were maybe exclusively or almost exclusively all 24” bikes. This seems bigger than a 24” bike. When I measured the frame it looks like it’s about 18.5” (see photo) Am I measuring it wrong or is this a 26” bike?

The serial number is near (not directly under) the crank. (See photo). I looked this up and for Monark bikes it looks like it falls somewhere between 1937 and 1938. Does that seem correct?

If I wanted to complete this bike would it have had a Monark sprocket or inch-pitch Hawthorne sprocket?

Still not sure what I will do with it but I’m kind of excited about it.

Thanks for any help.

You are in the ballpark with the date. I have a few Hawthorne badged bikes that have skipped tooth chainrings. Serial numbers on these bikes are all over the place ,can’t really go by that. Definitely a 24 inch bike

Back