When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne Bicycle year??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

This-nthat

Look Ma, No Hands!
I purchased this Hawthorne yesterday and am trying to determine year and model would someone help me out with this please? The only thing I’ve dug up was that there isn’t anything out there to date these bicycles other than Montgomery ward catalogs or collectors who would know that’s why I’m posted for you seasoned collectors that could help me out please.

14234E5B-43E5-48F3-A38A-EE198138FB84.jpeg

1DEF411B-4A56-4FEE-BAD3-F78457991D68.jpeg

D347F448-B25D-4F84-A6A2-FB30B93DE1BA.jpeg

Best guess based on catalog cuts is 1956. The Murray-style chainring first shows up that year. Chain guard looks like the picture of the "Equipped Standard" for that year, as well. That frame style hung on through 1959, but only for tankers. Tankers also had rear racks and headlights, so if this bike has no signs that it once had those accessories, it seems likely that it is a 1956 model. Nice bike; clean it, grease it up, and ride it.

Snyder built 1955. This model was called the "Equipped Standard". This bike is missing the headlight and rack. V/r Shawn
Thanks Freqman1! It clearly has a soot where the headlight was I didn’t notice when I purchased it but maybe $25 bucks wasn’t a bad deal still?! Paint looks real good I haven’t cleaned it up yet as you can see.

Best guess based on catalog cuts is 1956. The Murray-style chainring first shows up that year. Chain guard looks like the picture of the "Equipped Standard" for that year, as well. That frame style hung on through 1959, but only for tankers. Tankers also had rear racks and headlights, so if this bike has no signs that it once had those accessories, it seems likely that it is a 1956 model. Nice bike; clean it, grease it up, and ride it.
Thanks AndyA! I just looked on the grime fender and definitely had notches for a headlight, so then it would be a 55’ Equipped Standard then. I did not notice it missing that when purchased but am new to buying bicycles but has good paint and paid $25 bucks maybe not a bad deal still?! Thanks again

Thanks AndyA! I just looked on the grime fender and definitely had notches for a headlight, so then it would be a 55’ Equipped Standard then. I did not notice it missing that when purchased but am new to buying bicycles but has good paint and paid $25 bucks maybe not a bad deal still?! Thanks again
AndyA they is exactly what I’m going to do clean, grease and ride it.

Nice for $25-.
55, yes 1955; EH also likely an Excelsior Michigan City built Hawthorne bike for Wards Chicago. It is the middle 50's middleweight frame style, with the yoke at the seat post cluster. A serial (sequence) number should be about 6 inches below the seat post clamp, or on the left drop out. Often a letter followed by 6 digits. A higher number might reflect a 55-built bike for the 56 model year. Not sure about the letter codes then, did they skip both letters "I" and "J" or did Snyder start over again with the letter “A” in 1954.

Last edited:
Nice for $25-.
55, yes 1955; EH also likely an Excelsior Michigan City built Hawthorne bike for Wards Chicago. It is the middle 50's middleweight frame style, with the yoke at the seat post cluster. A serial (sequence) number should be about 6 inches below the seat post clamp, or on the left drop out. Often a letter followed by 6 digits. A higher number might reflect a 55-built bike for the 56 model year. Not sure about the letter codes then, did they skip both letters "I" and "J" or did Snyder start over again with the letter “A” in 1954.
Nice for $25-.
Thanks Archie! I really appreciate you and the others taking the time to share your knowledge with me. I went out and looked below the seat clamp and didn’t see anything came back in a read your post again and forgot you said to look also left drop out. Will look tomorrow and see.

Back