When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne Bike

-

jonimccoy

On Training Wheels
I am a newbie and I need help, suggestions, your knowledge on vintage bicycles, etc. I bought this Hawthorne bike at an auction for $35. 00 and decided I would try to restore it. It will be my first. The frame and parts I have are pictured. I bought an Elgin or Road Master rear tail rack on eBay (or so I was told) because I am looking for a rear taillight with the battery canister. I want to strip it and repaint and am looking for decals. Found one for the chain guard. Trying to decide whether to sand/glassbead blast or use liquid stripper. Any way if you have any idea what year this is, model anything at all, I would appreciate it. The rims and tires are in a bike shop of a friend of mine and he is fixing them up to mount when I am ready. Ok, enough…..I hope I can figure out how to use this website. It was recommended to me and I have been on eBay… Thanks!!!

HPIM7061.JPG

HPIM7060.JPG

HPIM7059.JPG

HPIM7058.JPG

HPIM7062.JPG

HPIM7063.JPG

HPIM7064.JPG

HPIM7065.JPG

First of all, welcome to the Cabe! You should probably try to repost in the section of bicycle restoration tips. You can find that at the main menu. Looks like a mid 60s middleweight bike . The handlebars are definitely incorrect. There are sections on here for just about any bike imaginable. I would also try to get on the middleweight section for reading and research. There are many directions you can go, from completely stock to a wild custom. It is good to have an idea when approaching a new project. There is a wealth of info on this site. Also good to know on how much money you want to put in a project, and wether you are doing it just to ride, or to try and resell for profit. Hope this has been of some help, feel free to message me. Hopefully I can help or at least point you in the right direction. Kevin.

I apologize Scott. I was unaware that I was supposed to use the report button. Rustysone2112, nice on the quick identification. I try to be helpful, but I am still no where as knowledgeable as so many on our site. I continue to learn every day and continue to enjoy our hobby.

Made by the Snyder co., the thin chain guard was new in '63. That chain ring was used from the mid '50s to the late '60s, when it was replaced by a tri spoke deign. Likely a '63 - '67 bike, all very similar.

Neat bike, sometimes the style of these 1960's space-bikes seems to grow on people. Sounds like more of a repair and refurbishment project.
I believe what makes this example stand out is the "Twin Beam" headlight tank, which projects far out before the head tube. It would be cool if you could get the headlight working again. The prior re-paint may have saved the bike from rusting away, but the 1-can/1-color really does a dis-service to the stylishness. I believe such flamboyant features should be made to contrast from the rest of the frame, fork, parts, but might not have to be an expensive re-chrome. And its not like you would be building an entire bike around 1 accessory, because you already have the rest of the bike!

Welcome !! Rusty nailed it w/ the photos and mag. adds good luck w/ the restore....:cool:

Back