When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne Bikes--Manufactured By?? And Serial #?

-
As of now I have done no reserch on this one, maybe earlier than 48 or 49 due to the dropouts having the adjustment screws. I'll post some pics of my serial number, I need some help on this one also. If nothing else it is something to compare to, super similar.

View attachment 934097

View attachment 934098
Interesting.... Your headbadge has vertical rivets, and mine is horizontal. If I remember correctly, the older style is horizontal rivets? Also, your fender tips, have they been repainted? And, I think your frame maybe CWC made? Just thinking outloud and hoping someone can clarify right from wrong. Nice bike!!

Last edited:
@Archie Sturmer and @Phattread BINGO!!!! 6" or so down from the seat clamp, stamped running horizontally is K352347. Thank you so much!! That saved me having to pull my tank at this time. The BB number is 473C. This has me really wondering if this points to a 3rd month of 1947 bike, and C--who knows, model code? Then in the serial number, the 3 there, could it be the month again, followed by 47 for the year? Either this is very coincidental, or I maybe onto something. Hmmmm.........

Deb

Something else I should say, my bike is metallic green, small, small flake but metallic.

AMF/CWC bikes often have 2-7/8" vertical holes; not necessarily newer or older than your bike, just CWC and not Snyder.
Some CWC-built Hawthorne bikes also have the side holes with brass winged-oval badges.
My 1947 girls Hawthorne has a C-012,345 like serial number, 74EH on bottom, and has aluminum badge with side holes.

The hole in the BB for the chain guard, galvanized parts, metallic paint, (and K-serial), may also suggest early/mid ~1950's.

Last edited:
@Archie Sturmer Looking at 2 online catalog pictures from 1953 last night, I am seeing the same tank and chainguard decals. When I got the bike, I was told it was most likely a late 1953, and that it was a standard 26" ladies junior equipped type model. Hence the narrow handlebars, the lack of fender tip painting (just pinstripes), etc. So, if yours is a 1947 with a C, then skipping I, that theory would put my bike here a 1954. I've been trying to learn more about all my and my husband's bikes, and this one was my first vintage bike I bought, but the last to get any dating done on it for sure, or to get details as to manufacturer, etc. I love this bike! It rides like a dream. (We've done a bit to her since I got her 4 years ago.)

Decoding is not a science; (what did the guy with a hammer and stamp do, when, where, and what stage).
I had a Snyder-Rollfast bike, with both a "35EH" stamped bottom (i.e., typical 1953), and a K-serial id; so my theory would have required a skipping of both I&J; [but that would contradict a J-serial id Snyder-Hawthorne]. Also had a post-war 1949-E that seemed to fit in line.
So, as with other manufactures, perhaps bottom brackets were stamped as separate parts, thrown in a bin, and later used with a frame, in an assembly step. Thus there may be overlaps of various codes, dates, and stamps. What I try to do, is find a date that I feel comfortable with, based on limited information, and if upon receiving better info, revise my previous assumptions.

For example, I was given a road bike with a documented December 1985 frame serial number (5L), with documented features of the 1986 catalog (Imperial Red paint). So, I call it an 85, 86 or 85/86 - close enough.

And then there are sometimes those odd, unique, or not understood markings, (such as your "473C").

Today, I flipped this ladies Hawthorne upside down. I cleaned the area on the BB. Boy, was I wrong about that number there before. I was reading it upside down, and with yuck there, I had it wrong. What I actually saw today was 35EH. So, that confirms what I was thinking since I saw a 1953 catalog page of a boys bike that was just like mine, and what I was told before. It is definitely a 1953 Hawthorne. Finally the uncertainty is over!! Yay!!! I'm a happy lady!! Thanks for your help.
Deb

Back