When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne Comet Reference Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
In doing some research, the Hawthorne "Comet" model had a long run of manufacture beginning prewar (1938?) and into the 40's post war and was built both by Cleveland Welding and HP Snyder.

Chris

Just wanted to share a catalog page from 1937 that shows the name "Comet" being used, although it appears to be a Zep frame without a tank or guard, also different rack, not the later Comet frame.

5729832764_969b12d7b9_o-1.jpg

I been told that i have a 1936 due to the "one year only" seat post hex nut, "Indian Red and white trim"
It appears that at some time it may of had a tank and rear rack. I love to ride this bike - definitely a favorite
I've included a 1938 Comet advertisement for reference

4y5aqyba-1.jpg
yvynu3a2-1.jpg

eqytahud-1.jpg

Eddie

What I've bee told is a '40 Ward's Hawthorne, Snyder built, CWC Shockmaster...great bike.
probably the best riding springer I have, wonderfully smooth. The rack and tank are from
another bike, exact same model. This bike had a blue rack that was thrashed, but the same.

IMG_0338-1.jpg

Great thread. I have to agree that the shock master fork rides very nice, one of the best riding forks made. It's really interesting how many variations of the "Comet" were available from Wards and made by CWC and Synder. Must of had them built up from suppliers that could offer the lowest prices at any given time to keep the bike prices as low as they could and still meet quality standards. Not the fanciest paint jobs, but very sturdy bikes with quality components and construction that could be had with lots of desirable features.

Last edited:
Nice Hawthorne Comet thread! I owned the yellow 1941 Cleveland Welding Company-built Hawthorne Comet on that website. It was rusty, and I ended up selling it to Dave at nostalgic.net, where it was restored, which was nice. I've been following its location in hopes I might one day buy it back, but I think it's just a dream. I am glad it got restored. It was really rusty when I had it and in dire need.
1941 Hawthorne Comet 2.jpg
1941 Hawthorne Comet GA 1.jpg

I missed the bicycle, and after working for a summer at an airport doing janitorial work and fueling airplanes (yes, I was driving a fuel tanker truck at 13 years old--that's small towns for you), I saw another 1941 Hawthorne Comet for sale by a guy named Zack on musclebike.net. I bought it for $600. It had the shockmaster fork and was slightly different. Everything was original, down to the paint, pedals, and Wards Riverside Mate whitewall tires and heavy duty tubes. The seat was missing and the handlebars, stem, and grips were from a women's bicycle. When the bicycle arrived, the tank was missing, but that showed up a week later. I bought a seat from Jerry Peters and installed some men's handlebars. I rode the bicycle daily and have lots of great memories of it.
1941 hawthorne cool1.jpg
1941 hawthorne cool3.jpg
1941 hawthorne cool2.jpg
1941 hawthorne cool4.jpg
1941 hawthorne cool6.jpg
1941 hawthorne cool5.jpg

The shockmaster fork worked so well and the headlight was extremely bright. I took great care of it and don't think I put a scratch on it the whole time. I also didn't let people ride it, except for one time I let a friend use it. He immediately rode it through a puddle, and I told him to get off.

I spotted a 1958 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 limousine in someone's back yard, and wanted to have it as my first car (I already had a 1923 Model T Ford that the farmer next door gave me, but it was far from being drivable). So, I asked about buying it, and the old lady at the door said I could take it and all of the other cars on the property for free. Then an old gentleman came to the door and said, "No, no, she is just joking. I think I would take $2,000 for it." I told him that I had an old bicycle that was probably worth about $1,200, so I would sell it to try to come up with the money, but the man accepted the Hawthorne Comet as a trade. The man ended up owning most of the city, with his family's name of dealerships, gas stations, and hotels in the town. He wanted the bicycle for the front window of the auto dealership that had been in his family since 1903, which was now full of vintage cars and memorabilia from the 1930s and 1940s. So, I got the Cadillac, and he got the Hawthorne.

My father wasn't too happy about the Cadillac, and ultimately talked me into selling it, saying it would never run without a full engine rebuild. The person who bought the Cadillac put a battery in it and drove it away. The power divider window still worked, and the rear seat still had the plastic over it. As for the Hawthorne, the last I know it was still in the window of that dealership, but the owner passed away in 2004 and it looks like the place was boarded up for a while and then renovated (with tinted windows, so I can't see inside on Google Maps). I've been wanting to see the bicycle again and hopefully someday buy it back because it has great sentimental value.

The bicycle was in Utah, and I moved to Washington, and then to Arizona. But sadly, I don't know if it's still around or if I could afford to buy it back. That's one bicycle I wish I still had. That and a Monark Hi-Lo collapsible bicycle with 16" wheels that I never should have sold. One day I would like to buy another Comet just like it, only with the taillights on the side of the rear rack, possibly coupled with a New Departure 2-speed rear hub and front brake. I loved, loved that maroon color with the white pinstriping. I am considering painting one up in brown and tan with red pinstriping sometime in the future. The 1941 Cleveland Welding Company-built Hawthorne Comet is my favorite bicycle, though other bicycles of the era are fascinating to me as well.

Attachments

• 1941hawthorne.jpg
    1941hawthorne.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Back