When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne Comet??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

St.Peter

Finally riding a big boys bike
I believe this bike to be a Hawthorne Comet. (Any info on that would be appreciated.) It will be going through a rebuild as soon as I complete a few other projects but hopefully before the spring. I just picked up a rack for it (not on the bike) and did get a chance to bolt on the chain guard, thanks Shawn and the fork. The rack I have for it is like the one in the third photo.

1607193566675.png

Nice bike.
Obviously, it has newer paint and was nicely refurbished at some time, perhaps with a mixture of parts; maybe not(?).
The star chain ring sprocket appears to be a Snyder-Rollfast, that DP Harris used on their economy models at one time; I believe that Montgomery Ward more typically sold bikes with somewhat Hawthorne-unique chain rings, most of the time. The frame looks Snyder too, and post war with the forward-facing rear forks; the serial number should date it.
The springer fork assemblage, (with cotter pins and 2 major pieces), looks like the improved 1948-51 patent by CWC.
I believe that there were some MW Hawthorne bicycles sold with both Snyder and CWC parts, but I forget when, or the details.
I believe that MW may also have been a leader in moving from drop stands to simpler kick stands.

Last edited:
Nice bike.
Obviously, it has newer paint and was refurbished at some time, perhaps with a mixture of parts(?).
The star chain ring sprocket appears to be a Snyder-Rollfast, that DP Harris used on their economy models at one time; the frame looks Snyder too, and post war with the forward-facing rear forks ends.
The springer fork assemblage, (with cotter pins and 2 major pieces), looks like the 1948-51 patent by CWC.
I believe that there were some MW Hawthorne bicycles sold with both Snyder and CWC parts, but I forget when or the details.
Thanks for the info.

Weren't the Comets only 47-48-49? Here's a 48 I had, that was 100% original. I repainted it, matching original colors and exactly matching graphics, Grey, red, with orange inset on tank. Had Ward's "Riverside" tires on it. Smooth riding bike. Paint had surface rust in it, that's why I repainted it. Chain ring is original, but re-chromed. [Stem and bars were replaced.]

Weren't the Comets only 47-48-49? Here's a 48 I had, that was 100% original. I repainted it, matching original colors and exactly matching graphics, Grey, red, with orange inset on tank. Had Ward's "Riverside" tires on it. Smooth riding bike. Paint had surface rust in it, that's why I repainted it. Chain ring is original, but re-chromed. [Stem and bars were replaced.]View attachment 1317397
That is an awesome bike

Back