When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne frame age

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Girlbike

Finally riding a big boys bike
There was a thread a few years ago where hawthorne build dates was being discussed.
A friend of mine gave me this frame as he is trying to thin out his collection. I've put wheels on it and have ridden it a few miles, and really like it.
Just out of curiosity, what year do you think it's from?
My guess is that it's a later year, based on the forks. The chain guard may be original, it fits and the color might have matched t salmon color of parts of the frame and forks
The serial number is hard to read, but it looks like NC00. I hope the pictures come through.

IMG_20210510_161307880.jpg

IMG_20210510_161038138.jpg

IMG_20210510_161140044.jpg

The date-place code looks upside-down and backwards; might read something like 55SN for a Snyder-built middle-weight bicycle from the middle-1950’s, or so.

The actual serial sequence number might be on the left rear fork end; or on the seat tube mast, a few inches below the clamp.

Last edited:
Okay, I will look those places too, when I get home today/ Thanks for your help!

Word of advice; post the full bike: chain guard side, check the left drop out for #s when you have drop outs that face the front wheel (pretty much assume it's 50s+) & the rear bridge area around the seat looks like Columbia/Westfield to me ....

Okay! So I checked and there were numbers on the rear dropout. The number is E133940.
I took a picture of the rear dropout since it was requested of the guy back in 2008. Nothing more was mentioned of it, and I did not see the numbers until you told me to look! Thank you for all of your help so far.
Aside from just wanting to know what year it is just for the cool factor, I will be closer to figuring out what the bike may have looked when new. It was definitely an unusual color!

The date-place code looks upside-down and backwards; might read something like 55SN for a Snyder-built middle-weight bicycle from the middle-1950’s, or so.

The actual serial sequence number might be on the left rear fork end; or on the seat tube mast, a few inches below the clamp.
I never thought of that they might be upside down fives. Kind of funny, it looks like it says N000!

Word of advice; post the full bike: chain guard side, check the left drop out for #s when you have drop outs that face the front wheel (pretty much assume it's 50s+) & the rear bridge area around the seat looks like Columbia/Westfield to me ....
See below. It didn't occur to me to respond to specific posts

Definitely the date code on the BB, even upside down I can make out the 'SN', meaning it was made in Snyder's NY factory. The numbers are another matter, might need to take it out in the sun, as they were often lightly stamped. Looks like mid to late '50s, so I'd expect 55, 65, or 85.

Thanks for your help!
It might be a while before I get to that. I've got the bike apart again to file down and pretty up some welding I had to do. Plus I an attempting to lace a three speed into the rear wheel. It was and will be sort of a rat.

Back