When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne Lite Wate

-
I'm not sure. I've got a 1953 Roadmaster that's straight and original, but the paint is flaking off in several places and shows some kind of aluminum primer.

IMG_2890.JPG

Thanks Oilit, I just posted on the CWC serial number page.

I spent a few minutes dusting the bike last night and noticed shiny metal under the a spot of flaking paint on the rear fender. Magnet confirmed steel, but it looks like it could have been chromed before paint?

View attachment 1092431
I remember seeing this too, but I think it's just bare virgin steel, no primer under the paint.

I'm not sure. I've got a 1953 Roadmaster that's straight and original, but the paint is flaking off in several places and shows some kind of aluminum primer.

View attachment 1120471
This would be the undercoating that makes the "candy" red on your bike glow like it does. Sometimes they used gold instead of silver. BTW, is that a Flying Falcon?

@Dave Stromberger, Good eye! I bought this on EBay out of Toledo OH, but the seller said he picked it up at an estate sale, so I don't know the history. Do you know when these came out? I'd heard 1954, but this one has "53Cw" under the crank. Maybe a mid-year introduction?

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2883_Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
@99 bikes, I just noticed that you don't have a good picture of your rear hub. A lot of those coaster brake hubs can't be dated, but some can. If you've got a good picture, it might be worth posting.

@99 bikes, There's another feature you can check, the early CWC's had the rear axle plates bead welded into the chain stays, later they were spot-welded. I don't know the year they changed over, but I think it was pre-war, so spot welds could be either, but bead welds would point to a pre-war bike.

Last edited:
Back