When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne/Montgomery Ward Year/Make

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Getting close #5 but not a single twinn top bar frame.

1702853297970.png

Here it is, a 1964 model.

Last edited:
It doesn’t look flat black in real life, maybe just bad lighting and worse photographer…. And it’s got 60 years of dirt on it… I cleaned the handle bars up using aluminum foil today, worked better than I expected it would..

Is there some “image catalog” where a guy can search year/make/model to try any narrow things down?
Monolite “Fast Back” Tank Design
(page 328)

Last edited:
Yeah, that sure does look like it… Archie mentioned the thing about the Chicago 7 on the neck, that was 63, think they still used Chicago 7 into ‘64 on the bikes?

Howdy folks!

I was hoping to get some help with identification of this bike. My wife and I recently moved, when we did, we had to clean out my in-laws garage. We found this bike in the attic.

I’m 54, my wife is a bit younger. My wife tells me this is her grandfathers bike. I guess the old guy would ride this thing around everywhere. The last time my mother-in-law (who is passed away) ever saw him, he rode away on this bike and a short while later died of a heart attack.

So, that’s the story. My wife wants me to restore it, so that’s what’s going to happen. I’m not going to ride it, we’re just going to hang it on a wall in the house..

I don’t care about value, but would love to know what year/model it is. I’ve spent days searching and have found similar, but not one with this same gas tank.

Thanks in advance for the help!

View attachment 1955774

View attachment 1955775

View attachment 1955776

View attachment 1955777

View attachment 1955778

View attachment 1955779

Howdy folks!

I was hoping to get some help with identification of this bike. My wife and I recently moved, when we did, we had to clean out my in-laws garage. We found this bike in the attic.

I’m 54, my wife is a bit younger. My wife tells me this is her grandfathers bike. I guess the old guy would ride this thing around everywhere. The last time my mother-in-law (who is passed away) ever saw him, he rode away on this bike and a short while later died of a heart attack.

So, that’s the story. My wife wants me to restore it, so that’s what’s going to happen. I’m not going to ride it, we’re just going to hang it on a wall in the house..

I don’t care about value, but would love to know what year/model it is. I’ve spent days searching and have found similar, but not one with this same gas tank.

Thanks in advance for the help!

View attachment 1955774

View attachment 1955775

View attachment 1955776

View attachment 1955777

View attachment 1955778

View attachment 1955779
Mid 60’s Hawthorne Twin Flyer

IMG_1751.png

Yeah, that sure does look like it… Archie mentioned the thing about the Chicago 7 on the neck, that was 63, think they still used Chicago 7 into ‘64 on the bikes?
I didn’t see @GTs58 post already on page-2.

It looks like the Monolite refers to the single headlight as shown in the catalog on the black bike on the bottom of that page.
Might check the tank for electrical provisions, and the catalog shows white accent paint (versus chrome).

The zip code reference was more general, just to indicate that the 1960’s was more likely than the 1970’s; (as those middleweight bikes all look kind of similar to me).
The July 1963 date might have been the time when a law was passed, rather than when zip codes were fully implemented? And private companies probably didn’t all flip a switch on one day.

Last edited:
They started selling this model around 1960. Serial #s are above the brake arm side axle nut, and start with A in 1959, continuing alphabetically into 1969.

Is there some “image catalog” where a guy can search year/make/model to try any narrow things down?
Yes. The Hurd and Gordon book “Collectable Elgin, JC Higgins, Sears, and Hawthorne bikesmwould be a good place to start. This is a link to an eBay sale.

Back