When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne - What have I got(ten myself into)?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Skip Montanaro

Look Ma, No Hands!
A friend gave me a Hawthorne balloon tire bike. I'm guessing it's post-war, given the curved downtube:

48769182868_c8f303a2ab_c.jpg

The serial number seems to suggest it was made for Montgomery Ward (520w?:(

48769714457_a807608d2f_c.jpg

I won't bore you with more pictures (see the album for brake bridge, dropout and fork crown images). Can someone give me a hint about the specific manufacturer or timeframe it hails from? The bike is in as retrieved condition. Jerry repainted it, but the chrome needs (at least) a visit to the Evapo-Rust spa. I will work on that as time permits (all my previous vintage bike experience falls into the Classic Rendezvous niche).

52CW may hint toward 1952 Cleveland Welding Company (CWC) built. It may be what some refer to as tall tank model or straight bar (with a straight truss tube). The refurbishment looks neatly done. The chain ring also looks MW Hawthorne. Does not appear to be missing any parts or accessories; does it also have the head badge to match the chain guard?

Last edited:
Back