When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

natethecarlover

Look Ma, No Hands!
This bike has been posted before being told its a 47 rollfast. I dont think its that bike i believe its a 40s hawthorne with a different crank someone threw on it. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Also i cant seem to find a serial number anywhere
161ec23102c18b5fbe60ca0786e9e457.jpg
f2cb06d1f140e86c8991ec49360aca8c.jpg
8e004fd4a9fbc69aeb9b540309929bc5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Looks to be a postwar Snyder(Rollfast). Possibly badged Hawthorne for Monkey Wards stores. 24" wheels?

This bike has been posted more than twice before; being told its a 47 rollfast. I dont think it is
It has been a year or so now. Perhaps explaining the circumstances under which you were told the bike was a 1947 and a DP Harris “Rollfast” and how you ascertained that instead the bike was a 1940’s (which includes 1947), and an MW Hawthorne - might be helpful.
To me, an HP Snyder built bike for Harris or Wards are about the same. I would not change a Rollfast badge for a Hawthorne badge, or vice-versa. But if the bike was received without a badge, I might likely use whichever fit the fastening holes the best.
And, there are many other badges that may be equally appropriate.

Last edited:
It has been a year or so now. Perhaps explaining the circumstances under which you were told the bike was a 1947 and a DP Harris “Rollfast” and how you ascertained that instead the bike was a 1940’s (which includes 1947), and an MW Hawthorne - might be helpful.
To me, an HP Snyder built bike for Harris or Wards are about the same. I would not change a Rollfast badge for a Hawthorne badge, or vice-versa. But if the bike was received without a badge, I might likely use whichever fit the fastening holes the best.
And, there are many other badges that may be equally appropriate.
The problem is both badges are horizontal mount. Whatever badge went to mine is a verticle

A '47 Snyder frame would typically be stamped '74 SN' or '74 EH' on the BB. They also made other store brands like Derby for Pep Boys. I think there were early '47 Hawthornes that used the older brass badge, can't remember if that was also side rivets.

A '47 Snyder frame would typically be stamped '74 SN' or '74 EH' on the BB. They also made other store brands like Derby for Pep Boys. I think there were early '47 Hawthornes that used the older brass badge, can't remember if that was also side rivets.
And here we are at an impass i cant find a number and its a top and bottom rivet badge
c40905d6ee5806603537c1dc29e4caab.jpg
98125bb2e088f6e845755117abea983e.jpg

The problem is both badges are horizontal mount. Whatever badge went to mine is a vertical. And its a top and bottom rivet badge
Perhaps an explanation of how you ascertained that the chain ring sprocket or different crank was swapped, might be helpful.

I have, what I am pretty sure, is a 1946 Hawthorne. Badged Hawthorne, same chainring as yours, all original as far as I can tell. Have not gotten the chance to tear into it yet, but also can see no serial number on mine. Has blackout hubs on both wheels, and looks just like the pic in the book for Hawthornes. I will post some pics as soon as I get a chance and maybe that will give some insight.

Back