When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HD Motorcyke

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
889B3E45-D350-403D-AAD7-EE9300914D0E.jpeg

This has all been one big hallucination.

On a serious note, please try to not have your relatives clean or alter the bike too much from it’s as found condition.
Take that process very slow, and let your initial enthusiasm subside a bit before you do anything to the bike.
And if the bike has to be hauled in an open bed truck, cover the saddle with a shower cap, and strap it upright like you would a motorcycle.
I would love to see it in its as found condition if possible.
Plus, it would be good for a family album down the road.
This may be a tangible legacy of your family history.
Pretty cool way to remember those who’ve passed and to give to those yet born.

My understanding is that it looks like the first of the three pictures above. Remember, all I could see of it was part of a dusty dark coloured frame and the front crankset. I have now been told it’s an olive green and the paint is in excellent condition. Weathered and faded a little, but all there, even on the fenders.

If it is what it appears to be, is it it’s rarity that makes it a special and valuable bike? Or is it simply that it’s a part of HD history? Or combination of both?

And how rare are these? Are their hundreds still in existence?

Its hard to say how many originals are left. These are one of those cross-over items that is sought by both bicycle and motorcycle folks. I suspect there are more of these than we realize due to that fact. We know in the bicycle community that they are scarce but I suspect that more than a few originals are tucked away with some motorcycle guys. You will find the same kind of thing with Flying Merkels and Indians. What I can tell you is that there are a lot of fake HD bicycles out there as both the badge and chainring have been reproduced. As you may or may not know HD did not build these bikes. They were made by Davis Sewing Machine so if you get a Davis bike you can change the badge and ring and have a HD. If you really want to learn the story here is the CABE thread https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/show-your-davis-built-bicycles.20560/ V/r Shawn

Back