When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HD Motorcyke

-
@cyclingday
eyes popping.gif

The bad repair(2 spots) doesn't really hurt the bike. Find someone who cares who can re-do it better. It will cost you but will be worth it. The spray-bombed black paint can be carefully removed from over the light green paint when you have the two bad welds re-done. Carefully. Beautiful bike and lucky your family still has it...so nice! Wonderful to see something like this. You must hang onto it. Thanks for sharing and stick around to provide more pics as you clean it up.

Last edited:
Yeah!
That is fantastic!
Ask, how many people have your great grandpa’s old Harley Davidson bicycle, and you’ll be lucky if one person raises their hand.
That bike looks magnificent, and it’s very likely that Gramp’s made those frame repairs, and if he didn’t, then I’ll bet one of his best buddies did.
If you choose to clean those up, then treat it like the Mona Lisa, and have them done forensically.
Meaning, take it slow and be methodical in your approach.
But, since your plan is to keep and enjoy, that really isn’t necessary, unless it’s just something that you feel should be done for peace of mind.
My guess is, that your bike is a 1918 model, which is very similar to the model 418 that I own.
They ride very nicely once you’ve serviced and adjusted everything.
I was fortunate, that my bike came with steel clincher rims that allowed me the ease of mounting modern tires, which made setting it up for riding that much easier.
As cool as the wood rims are, it does make finding a suitable modern tire much more difficult.
Any way, good luck in which direction you choose to take, and good luck with it.
Thank you very much for sharing it with us.
I for one, am very impressed!
Take care,

Cyclingday

Back