When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HD Motorcyke

-
Okay, if I leave the repair as is, is it a bad idea to try to remove the black spray paint? On the head tube one would think there is still olive green paint u see the black spray paint.

There’s a guy named Dave Stromberger that would be your man on this dilemma.
He knows what to do and how to only remove what’s needed, and to only replace what’s needed.
He can be contacted here at The Cabe.
I can’t say, whether he would want to take this project on, but my gut feeling, is that he would be a good place to start.
Your local retro shop sounds like a bad idea.
They don’t have any experience with this type of heirloom.
Dave has the background and experience, this wouldn’t be his first rodeo.
@Dave Stromberger
You would not regret this route.

Last edited:
Okay, if I leave the repair as is, is it a bad idea to try to remove the black spray paint? On the head tube one would think there is still olive green paint u see the black spray paint.

Honestly if you're leaning towards leaving the repairs as is, I wouldn't worry about the black paint right now. Break the bike all the way down, clean all the bearings and inspect the hubs/bottom bracket bearing cups and cones for damage then re-grease and reassemble. From the images you provided the chain looks good. While you're going through the bike figure out what you're going to do regarding tires and rims. By then the bike will have grown on you and those cosmetic issues may not seem so important. You can always deal with the cosmetics later.

If you are willing to spend the money, here is a source for some period correct single tube tires that would work on those wood rims - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=121118220290

s-l500.jpg

your bike is pretty sweet just as it is.

I am with the ones saying that the repair may be ugly, but they have lasted through time. For what it is worth, I would just clean it up, service it and ride it as is, it is all part of the bikes story and history. I have a bike with a wicked repair at the head from the bottom tube, it rides great and I am not going to change it.

Your Grandfather left you part of his memories to treasure. Enjoy them and someday pass them on to your grandkids.

congratulations.

Back