When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HD Motorcyke

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I will take some addition pictures of the stand this evening for you.

On another note, I am more convinced my great grandfather was original owner. He would have been early to mid teens 1918. When I got home I Noticed another set of letters on down tube after “Motorcyke”. Very very faint only visible in bright light. At first I thought it was the remnants of another bicycle name and my great grandpa was making knock offs. But in better light I could tell it wasn’t a brand name, instead it was his name. From what I can tell he even tried to use a similar colour as Motorcyke was written in. Adults don’t write their names on their bikes, but a 13 or 14 year old might. Also, you would write your name on a shiny new bike because you wouldn’t want it to be stolen. You wouldn’t write it on a bike that was in used condition as the threat of theft would not be high.

I will be having old family pictures checked to see if I can find one of him on this as teen.
My grand father would have been 19 in 1918. So he might have had his name on a bike this rare. Thievery was rampant in the early part of the last century. These bikes probably sold for one months pay or more. My grand parents were married in the early twenties, so this might have been like a motorcycle now days. A luxury item. Razin.

Yeah, but for how much money? Iv'e seen these go for insane amounts of money. (450.00 + each} Razin.

He's asking $495 for a pair with free shipping. When you consider the historical significance of this bike and the fact that I believe the new caretaker inherited it, (doesn't have a ton of money invested in it already) that's a small price to pay for keeping the bike as period correct as possible and still be able to ride it. For this rare of a bike, I personally think that's a better option than going the Velosity Blunt direction like I did with my Elgin to get it back on the road. This of course is dependent on how true the OG wooden wheels are.

no idea whether they are the original wood rims. They appear to have been painted an off silver at some point in their life. Once I have time I will take a closer look to see if their is any army green paint ( I think the original colour the rims would have been painted) hiding under that silver.

I currently have 8 road/cyclocross bikes, 5 mountain bikes, and 2 bmx, that my family of four rides on an ongoing basis, that I maintain and replace tires on every few years. So in the grand scheme of things, it’s not a big deal to add a couple antique bikes to the rotation. Tires may cost more, but I suspect their lifespan will be a lot longer than the ones that get daily use.

no idea whether they are the original wood rims. They appear to have been painted an off silver at some point in their life. Once I have time I will take a closer look to see if their is any army green paint ( I think the original colour the rims would have been painted) hiding under that silver.

I currently have 8 road/cyclocross bikes, 5 mountain bikes, and 2 bmx, that my family of four rides on an ongoing basis, that I maintain and replace tires on every few years. So in the grand scheme of things, it’s not a big deal to add a couple antique bikes to the rotation. Tires may cost more, but I suspect their lifespan will be a lot longer than the ones that get daily use.

Oh yeah, they've been painted over. One thing You haven't elaborated on yet that could add a piece to the puzzle is what is the rear hub ? Back in 1918 it should have been a ND model A or possibly an Eclipse Machine or another more exotic brand like a Corbin or Atherton, something along those lines. I imagine the front hub is a ND model M.

Will name/brand of hub be stamped on hub? Or will people in this board be able to tell from a picture of the hubs?

Both.. It should be stamped, maybe even on the brake arm.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Will name/brand of hub be stamped on hub? Or will people in this board be able to tell from a picture of the hubs?

Yes, on the barrel of the hub and or the brake arm. You can also tell by the shape of the barrel if you can't see any stampings. New Departure model A's have an hourglass profile. When they transitioned to the model C and later they had a straight profile with an oil port in the middle.

A cheaper route would be to go to a later clincher style rim with 28" or the 700cc rims and tires. A lot cheaper in the long run. Razin.

Back