When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Badge Clean-up ... need tips from experienced CABE'rs please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Classic Cool Rides

Wore out three sets of tires already!
In Memoriam
Hello CABE'rs ... I have this ELGIN Badge that I think might clean-up ... BUT ... I've not done this before.
I assume the "V" and the outer badge trim should be shiny ?? Showing either silver or brass color ??
How is this done without damaging the Color that is still there with the Aqua and the Orange ??
Thank you in advance for your Badge Cleaning tips! Cheers !! CCR Dave
elgin badge 2.1.jpg

elgin badge 2.2.jpg

SO ...... there is no other way than getting the Industrial Grinder out that the Tinker recommends :eek:??

Come on CABE'rs .... isn't there any other way a little more subtle ?? Thanks, CCR Dave

Just try a "cleaner, paste" type wax and lightly clean it up. It's old and will never be like new, so appreciate the patina. Use a "Q" tip around the edges. The first thing though, is to learn the correct way to remove a badge without marring up its face . It's covered here in this thread. My personal favorite way is to remove the bike's fork and take a 3/8ths ratchet extension bar and use the female end to push the underside of the rivet ends up. You can pry them up a tiny bit. It makes them easy to grip. Use quality electrician's blunt nosed pliers to grip them and twist the rivet counter clockwise and pull it out. The face of the badge should always, and I mean always be covered in painter's blue, easy-off tape prior to removing or installing, to prevent nicking the face of your badge. Below ,I illustrate the proper way to remove a head badge.
IMG_2894.JPG

Tools you will need to safely remove your badge.
IMG_2895.JPG

First, carefully cut the head tube off your bike.
IMG_2896.JPG

Mount head tube in vice. [You don't want to damage it.]
IMG_2897.JPG

Select a fine bladed screwdriver. [ Very important to use your best screwdriver]
IMG_2898.JPG

Carefully remove the badge. Do not "rush" the job. This point is critical!
IMG_2899.JPG

Pry up. [carefully!]
IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

Last, but not least, lightly clean with your favorite paste wax. And your'e done!
This is a fun hobby. I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do!

Poor Dave! So many good ideas in this thread! These guys know what they are talking about! If all else fails, steel wool and wd40, then wax!

You can also use a pencil eraser to clean the exposed metal parts. One of the courser erasers used to remove ball point pen ink is even better if you can find one.

Soak it in white vinegar.
You can also use a pencil eraser to clean the exposed metal parts. One of the courser erasers used to remove ball point pen ink is even better if you can find one.

Well I have done "step 1" as recommended from catfish .... and as soon as I can locate an "ink eraser" I will try "step 2" as z-bikes suggested.
So far ... it's looking much better!
And the tinker had a great suggestion using the Blue Painters tape... BUT ... I had already removed the badge and did some minor damage by NOT using the tape:confounded:
Thank you all for the tips! Cheers! CCR Dave
elgin badge cleaned 1.jpg

elgin badge cleaned 2.jpg

Back