Head Badge Identification

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 26, 2011
Plymouth, Michigan
A lot of manufacturers had some sort of patriotic badging leading into WWII. I'd guess it's 1941-42 and probably was no different from a New World. Cool badge though! The tophat was a symbol for a fighter plane squadron.

Reactions: bricycle

furyus

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jan 14, 2012
Eddie Rickenbacker's WWI squadron I believe. Interesting idea about WWII - hadn't thought of that. I have not been able to find any information on this badge at all, but I definitely dig it. Thanks for writing, jpromo. Anyone else have an idea?

Reactions: SirMike1983

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 4, 2014
Planet Mongo
The saying at our involvement in WW2 was we are "In the ring, until we win." [as throwing your hat in the ring, showing your involvement.] This was common on mail of WW2. The top hat represented Uncle Sam throwing his hat into the ring to join in the fight.
s-l225.jpg

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I believe Schwinn first started using the red, white and blue band decal with the top hat in the ring on most of their 1940 model lightweights. Very interesting head badge and I wonder if it was actually factory installed on any models. It may have possibly been an optional dealers accessory during war time.

Reactions: bricycle
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

PCHiggin

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Jan 22, 2008
Ryderwood, United States
Does anybody know the correlation between Schwinn and Eddie Rickenbacker's WWI squadron symbol,if any? I looked for an answer years ago on the old Schwinn Forums with no luck

This ad goes away when you register for an account!