When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Badge Identification

-

furyus

Finally riding a big boys bike
Anyone recognize this lightweight head badge?

all-american.jpg

thanks!
furyus

A lot of manufacturers had some sort of patriotic badging leading into WWII. I'd guess it's 1941-42 and probably was no different from a New World. Cool badge though! The tophat was a symbol for a fighter plane squadron.

Eddie Rickenbacker's WWI squadron I believe. Interesting idea about WWII - hadn't thought of that. I have not been able to find any information on this badge at all, but I definitely dig it. Thanks for writing, jpromo. Anyone else have an idea?

The saying at our involvement in WW2 was we are "In the ring, until we win." [as throwing your hat in the ring, showing your involvement.] This was common on mail of WW2. The top hat represented Uncle Sam throwing his hat into the ring to join in the fight.
s-l225.jpg

I believe Schwinn first started using the red, white and blue band decal with the top hat in the ring on most of their 1940 model lightweights. Very interesting head badge and I wonder if it was actually factory installed on any models. It may have possibly been an optional dealers accessory during war time.

Back