When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Badge screws

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
As for my mechanical ability, I can tell you I laced my first wheel when I was about 10. ;) No youtube, no computers, no books. I can tell you how that came about. We were just starting to appreciate our rides,.. washing and waxing them. Well, I got this brilliant Idea to take a wheel apart. Clean and polish the rim spokes and hub with a brillo pad. Wax every thing and put it back together. I had a front wheel to look at, no spoke wrench just a screwdriver. Trued it up on the bike,... patted my self on the back... I did this, wasn't that hard. ... Then I went to put air in that 20 inch stingray tire. Wasn't easy with the spokes crossed over the stem. Everyone was amazed at what I had done... nobody noticed what was wrong. It stayed that way for a while... being without wheels for a couple days wasn't fun. So yeah, I've been tinkering with things for a looong time, and I work with my hands. But those screws,... I cant get them out!

This badge didn't really matter but I didn't want to destroy it. Now a couple of the others have the build date stamped in them, and I'd like to save them.

You accomplished your mission.
1970.jpg

Its not your mechanical aptitude, I question. Its more of a curiosity thing for me, is why these screws wouldn't come out.

I do the tapping method also. But after one of my attempts with a small screwdriver with a small diameter toy sized handle, I said this is BS. I sacrificed a larger screwdriver (Harbor Freight) with a good size handle and wider blade than the width of the screw head. Ground down the blade to fit tight in a undamaged slot, grabbed the handle tight and put turning pressure on it. Then I increase the turning pressure just as the hammer head hit the screwdriver handle, and with a real hammer, not a little rubber or hard plastic hammer. These are sheet metal screws and maybe one and a half threads are all that's holding it in.

Schwinn 60's badges go for ten cents each. Rip the thing off and use a vice grip to turn the screws out and be done with it.
I have had good luck, with stubborn screws, using a impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer to tighten or loosen, that takes a 3/8" drive socket) using a custom ground tip to fit the screw exactly. also a fan of Kroil penetrating oil.
Now if I could find a source of screws that are 3/16"- 1/4" long instead of 1/8" to reach the fresh meat in the hole

I've had luck removing rivets by sticking a solid 7/8" bar down the head tube and sitting the edge of the bar on the tip of the rivet. The side of the bar rests against the head tube. A couple of smacks with a good sized ball pen hammer and the rivet will move enough to get a pair of side cutter pliers on the rivet head and remove it. Haven't run into a head screw yet that I couldn't get a grip on with a good screwdriver. The iron bar might work on a screw with a boogered up head.

I have had good luck, with stubborn screws, using a impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer to tighten or loosen, that takes a 3/8" drive socket) using a custom ground tip to fit the screw exactly. also a fan of Kroil penetrating oil.
Now if I could find a source of screws that are 3/16"- 1/4" long instead of 1/8" to reach the fresh meat in the hole

They are #2 round-head type "B" sheet metal screws.

Back