When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found Head bearing cups for this wards hawthorn frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Im looking for the head cups for this Snyder built wards hawthorn. I have a bunch of cups but all seem to small. How many different sized head tubes in 40'2/50's. did head tube size change when fork tube size did? Any and all help appreciated.

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

Last edited:
I would have assumed that Snyder headsets were the typical ~32.5mm or so; but I guess I might not have actually ever measured!
I do recall that the seat post was an odd 27/32” (or 1/32” larger than a typical 13/16”).

Last edited:
Im looking for the head cups for this Snyder built wards hawthorn. I have a bunch of cups but all seem to small. How many different sized head tubes in 40'2/50's. did head tube size change when fork tube size did? Any and all help appreciated.

Steel tubing (unlike pipe) is measured by the outer diameter. Use a thinner piece of tubing? Now you need different parts if they need to fit tight in the tubing, even if its the same "size" tubing. I hope you find what you are looking for (maybe Gordon has it!), but you really do need to figure out what the inside diameter of the headtube is.

Wald used to, maybe still do, make a headset with 3 fileable high spots on the outside of the cups that might be big enough to work in some oversize head tubes.

Last edited:
While you are at it, if you don't have the seatpost it would pay to take Archie Sturmer's very subtle hint and check the seatpost size. Hopefully its not 27/32 (21.15) or some other goofball size nobody makes, but if so better to figure it out now so you can plan for it.

The seat post is larger then normal, where could I find one if they are availabe? do the make a shim?
While you are at it, if you don't have the seatpost it would pay to take Archie Sturmer's very subtle hint and check the seatpost size. Hopefully its not 27/32 (21.15) or some other goofball size nobody makes, but if so better to figure it out now so you can plan for it.

Larger than normal doesn't narrow it down much. If standard is 20.6 and it is 22.2 you have gobs of choices.

21.15 aka .833 aka 27/32 is in-between. It is also a standard I guess, but way less common, and everybody seems to have forgotten it existed.

My 81 Raceline is 21.15. I needed a taller post. There is literally nothing available except used, and even that is complicated because nobody seems to know it exists. Wald makes (or made) a 21.15 extra-long post, at least by specification. Amazon reviewers say its just another 20.6 like Chicago Schwinn.

For the Raceline I bought a Chicago-Schwinn-sized alloy post on ebay, and used a Wald shim (they do make one, not quite for these sizes, but close). Its a lousy solution, but it works, sort of. First time out it slipped and scraped the shiny new post all up.

Back