When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head light conversion

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

75 Bronco

Finally riding a big boys bike
is there a way to convert a bike headlight to LED while still using the original headlight housing?

is there a way to convert a bike headlight to LED while still using the original headlight housing?
This is possible. The type of lamp that most 1930s-60s electric headlights use on bicycles is the E10 Base Incandescent Bulb. They make LED bulbs with this base now, that should be able to screw right into the existing socket. You would have to have some sort of way to install a lower power battery though, as I think 2 D Cells would perhaps be too much power for the LED, and could cause it to fail. I could be wrong, as I have never tried this before.
There is conceivably benefit to LED, such as brighter light to allow for better visibility to see when you're riding at night. The traditional incandescent bulb is only as bright as a smaller kerosene lamp at best. The only downside to LED, is that most give off a blast-white light, not a warm glow, so it kind of takes away from the more authentic and old-time feel when it's on; this is why I still use incandescent myself, just to be traditional. Perhaps a warm glow LED is available. Good Luck!

well.. it really depends on the housing. there is a large variety of very bright lights available for bikes these days. I would try and finagle an entire light into the original housing, the biggest problem would be having the on off switch on the outside somewhere.

Back