When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headsets

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I acquired a 59 middleweight recently for a few parts. This bike had a headset on it that I've never run across before. Instead of having a cone in the head tube, it had a simple bearing race. Pictured below on the left is the race which was inserted into the head tube; on the right is what I'm used finding. Can someone tell me when/why/where this type of race was used in lieu of the more conventional chrome cone races?
20190310_204010.jpg

20190310_204056.jpg

Thanks, Ed

That is Schwin's deluxe headset seen on better bikes and lightweights. I am surprised you have not run across or seen one before. Roger

Interesting. The bike I bought for the parts had a date code for 1959. It had a front rack, painted fenders, and chrome S-7 wheels. It had been repainted so there was no way to see what model it may have been from a chain guard decal. But looking through the catalogs, it appears to be a Tiger. Would that have been considered a "Better Bike?"

Interesting. The bike I bought for the parts had a date code for 1959. It had a front rack, painted fenders, and chrome S-7 wheels. It had been repainted so there was no way to see what model it may have been from a chain guard decal. But looking through the catalogs, it appears to be a Tiger. Would that have been considered a "Better Bike?"

I believe it was a "Better Bike". That headset was called the Continental head set and was an upgrade from the typical Cup style that was prone to retaining water.
Bottom paragraph.

1552353752820.png

I have the frame race and cone from one of these. Standard caged bearings won’t fit. Any idea of where to find the correct caged bearing or correct diameter ball to run them loose?

Yep,Schwinn Deluxe. Standard on some lightweights. I had a set of late 50's Travelers with that set

Back