When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heating the shed.

-

Evans200

I live for the CABE
In Memoriam
Colder weather is coming and I'm curious as to how you guys in the colder climates keep your shed or other out buildings warm. I'd like to spend some time in my 10X12 shed this winter. Lighting is also a concern as there is no electric power to the shed at this point. Right now my only light source is a battery operated Rayovac lantern, which lights the area enough to see where I am, but not to work on the bikes. For this thread I'm looking at various safe methods to heat the area for maybe a couple hours at a time, warm enough to work on the bikes. Remember, no elecricity!

Coleman lanterns are self contained, put out a lot of light and and a small kerosene heater should work in a space that small.

I use a wood burning stove in my shanty/ shed. I'm in the process of getting it all together right now. Also upgrading the extension cords to romex.

Just remember if you use any white gas or kerosene heat or light source you need to have a window or door open enough to allow some fresh air in. Carbon monoxide is the silent killer.
This is where I'm up against all the road blocks. Leaving the door open defeats me trying to heat the shed. I won't take ANY chances. I plan on running electricity to the shed next year which will solve all my problems for heat and light. Still searching for ideas for this winter though.

I use a wood burning stove in my shanty/ shed. I'm in the process of getting it all together right now. Also upgrading the extension cords to romex.
Are you running electric to the shed from the house with extension cords?

For those little sheds, an electric space heater is the best bet. I think a wood stove is too much, and I would not use kerosene. The space is too confined for anything that makes fumes.

I use a Stanley blower heater, but some people like the exposed coil ones, whatever works so long as you keep flammable items away. The same is true of light- electric is best in those little sheds. I'd run a heavy duty, appliance/power tool grade extension cord from a good outlet. You want one that is a "job site" type cord with a multi-head from Home Depot or Lowes-- the stuff contractors use in outdoor jobs for their tools or for external lighting. These are weather resistant and rated high enough to run both your heater and small tools. My choice is a heavy-duty, orange contractor cord with a three-headed block end. It powers my heater, Dremel, and a stand work light with no problems.

Back