When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heavy Duti questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I recently completed a search for an early Heavy Duti with a successful purchase of a1965 Heavy duti from fellow Caber genesmachines Thanks Gene. I have yet to receive it but had some questions about the bike. I have read that the HD has a reinforced frame, what exactly does that mean? I think it has a HD kickstand,heavy guage spokes and front hub. Is there any other difference from regular mid weight frame and the HD. I can not be more pumped to get my hands on it , that will be soon. Any and all help is appreciated.

I recently completed a search for an early Heavy Duti with a successful purchase of a1965 Heavy duti from fellow Caber genesmachines Thanks Gene. I have yet to receive it but had some questions about the bike. I have read that the HD has a reinforced frame, what exactly does that mean? I think it has a HD kickstand,heavy guage spokes and front hub. Is there any other difference from regular mid weight frame and the HD. I can not be more pumped to get my hands on it , that will be soon. Any and all help is appreciated.

A Heavy Duty did not have any special frame. It was built on a standard middleweight frame with wheels that had .105ga spokes making the wheels stronger giving it the capacity to carry heavier loads like a paperboy would be carrying back in that era. They may have also been marketed more towards commercial institutions where a stronger bike may have been needed.

here’s on I use as a warehouse bike

E01ACB11-0385-4D6F-9617-2D1AD7A65A4C.jpeg

A Heavy Duty did not have any special frame. It was built on a standard middleweight frame with wheels that had .105ga spokes making the wheels stronger giving it the capacity to carry heavier loads like a paperboy would be carrying back in that era. They may have also been marketed more towards commercial institutions where a stronger bike may have been needed.

I noticed some of the bikes posted had a CT forged crank and mentions forged stem. I see some cranks with CT marking are they different from regulal Scwinn cast crank? Is there a difference in the stem? I love that yellow but it was not an option in '65, I have taken to painted fenders as of late so I going to keep it red.

Not correct. The HD frames starting in 1964 have extra welding where the cantilevers meet the frame at the seat tube(some years) and down tube. Around this time they also started using the CT stamped cranks which were heat treated for extra strength.

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG

Last edited:
Not correct. The HD frames starting in 1964 have extra welding where the cantilevers meet the frame at the seat tube and down tube. Around this time they also started using the CT stamped cranks which were heat treated for extra strength.

No special distinction on the frames in the dealer catalogs! The Typhoon, Heavy Duti, Klunker, and the Spitfire all used the same frames!

BTW, the cantilever frames themselves were considered to be a "HEAVY DUTY" frame!

Just posted it! What's the point the frames are different. All the way up to the yellow ones in 80, which is the year of the one above I posted. If you owned one you'd agree! I have owned at least 20 over time and the only HDs without the extra welds were the '61-'63 American Heavy Duty's

Last edited:
Just posted it! What's the point the frames are different. All the way up to the yellow ones in 80, which is the year of the one above I posted. If you owned one you'd agree! I have owned at least 20 over time and the only HDs without the extra welds were the '61-'63 American Heavy Duty's

I own one, and assembled many over the years when working at the shop. I see no physical difference in the frames on my Typhoon, Spitfire, Klunker, or Heavy duti.........!

Back