When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heavy Duti questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yeah, as said, difficult to shoot and get the angles I need with the black. But Been looking closer and inspecting, it's just like your yellow, only a little tighter on one side. At first, I thought it's tighter but got to looking more at yours and stuck a flashlight into mine, under, over, and around, and it's actually about the same. That nice bright yellow is a lot easier to shoot. One side is just slight welded tighter than the other and your looks like it may be too. So, once I realized I could see this from above without flipping the frame, my 26" 63 (black) Hornet is near identical to the 80. However, the 80,, its forward canti connections look like they were pressed together while hot and become flexible so, added pressure can form the tube tighter into the bar. It's a real good looking joint on canti too front of bar. And I mean, better than a bead or wraparound weld to reinforce them.

It might be the same in newer frames, around 1980 vs older 60-70's B/C my 80 canti-tubes are open at the tips, a hole- air breather or moisture out let. While the 63 is caped and spot joined; weaker than 54. . That air hole could be allowing the top canti- tubes to flex tighter into the bar. That would be, like, a double improvement to element moisture and strengthen the connection.

As GT mentioned, about the change in frame manufacturing, well, at least it' happened before 63 and I'm thinking 59 sounds like a good spot. . Since the name 'Heavy-Duty showed up in 65 catalog, probably 1st production is summer -fall 64.

Upon seeing these catalogs or order sheets from 67 and 80, I was surprised to note the use of 'Middleweight' at least for the 80 cruiser. " middleweight?' Yet it actually, appears to be what really happened, not in as much as 1954, just because of S7 wheels but at the time This more automated EF machinery system began. I mean, Electro forging wasn't new but, the frames and apparent system , less manpower and increased automation was. I.E. it's not really the wheel sizes but the actual frames in all scales became weaker and lighter. To the extent that, that a full sized cruiser, ballooner became a 'Middleweight' at the same time the factory completely reengineered the system's frame shops, before 1963 to wit..

IDK but maybe that difference we see in earlier frames being stronger, the newer frames, which are basically near same until Chicago closed, were breaking and so, Schwinn beefed em up for 65, 'Heavy-Duti. A neglect had to be solved to entertain a machine suitable as industrial purpose.

It's gone now, a little off topic, subject yet an clearer understanding of what's heavy and the evolution to simplify, less man power and increased automation too achieve the strength and durability Schwinn has been known for.

Understanding this, which I've understood for decades. The faster production moves the greater odds of error slipping through human inspection.

Comparatively, considering the difference of 54-when?, the 'heavy duty', in my opinion, is not as strong as prior.

I think, in your case, Lobster dude, retired, Either Schwinn, cheeped out or it slipped through inspection.

So, ya got a handle of where I can get some, local to me, 5 bucks a pound; yum, yum Lobsters please.

Nothing slipped through the cracks with my bike! And here is another pic of a Heavy Duty with NO extra welds.

Nothing slipped through the cracks with my bike! And here is another pic of a Heavy Duty with NO extra welds.

View attachment 1409371

View attachment 1409372
Yup, I gotta go with the thought that Schwinn was pulling a screwy advisement on the 'Hevy-Duty' pitch. And it was right about 71-2 that was when I became discouraged over all "Schwinn Quality". It wasn't this bike though, all of the brand new bikes in dealer's shops looked crapy because of the rims. I literally thought; because VW did it, rims and chrome parts were being made in Mexico and They'd joined the Huff and Murray death walk. After that period I never stopped in Schwinn shops again in over 25 years.

Aside, a 25 pound tail? Dam never seen that before, deal, 5 bucks a pound, cash or bikes pick up at local dock today!

Last edited:
The two I have came off of Raleigh tandems. They both came with the optional offset brake arms. I guess that was something Raleigh used.

I’m sure they were an option. I would have to dig into details with litterateur to have a real answer.

The standard "Heavy Duti" was never offered with a 2 speed from the factory, if any exist they were custom built by the dealer, or owner of the bike!

As previously posted, some of the earlier "American's" were offered in the heavy duty option with the 2 speeds. But that is before Schwinn offered the Heavy Duti as a model by itself.

The standard "Heavy Duti" was never offered with a 2 speed from the factory, if any exist they were custom built by the dealer, or owner of the bike!

As previously posted, some of the earlier "American's" were offered in the heavy duty option with the 2 speeds. But that is before Schwinn offered the Heavy Duti as a model by itself.
Did the tandems of the time come in 2 speed with heavy duty spokes? The dealer or someone at some time could just swap out those wheels.

Reactions: hm.
Back