When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heavy Duti questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Did the tandems of the time come in 2 speed with heavy duty spokes? The dealer or someone at some time could just swap out those wheels.

Yes, that is possible since the Twinn's were available some years with the 2 speed kickback hubs!

The trouble with drilling out hubs is they may (or may not) have drilled too close to the edge with the smaller holes. You might not have enough metal left after you drill for any strength. That sort of has to be checked on a hub by hub basis, and if nobody else has done it you might have to buy one just to measure it and see.

I wouldn't drill spoke holes larger unless U have a drill press and set up to dead nail center of hole and, if only for short term use and trash it. Because, you'll be cutting the chrome off and raw steal no likes rust in a big hurry.

I wouldn't drill spoke holes larger unless U have a drill press and set up to dead nail center of hole and, if only for short term use and trash it. Because, you'll be cutting the chrome off and raw steal no likes rust in a big hurry.
Yea , I was just asking seemed like a real pain in the a$$. I didn't think about the chrome, good point.

Yea , I was just asking seemed like a real pain in the a$$. I didn't think about the chrome, good point.
Whelp, and but as in butt head and you didn't care about the rust factor there's this. I imagine a fully tooled bike shop could, should or might know of a specially designed drill bit that would be a breeze to use. Otherwise, he who patents one need only split the rights wit me. So, on this bit the tip would not have blades but only a hard tempered rod about 1/4" long that is the exact size of current hole. From there the cutting, boring blade is enlarged to the size of the spokes you want or need to enlarge the new hole. The hardened tip should, would, could guide you dead center and wa-la!

Alternately Get a bit the size you want to enlarge it too and lightly, to avoid heating and ruining its temper, grind about 1/4" down to the size of current hole. Recut, that is, sharpen the blades at new edges and go.

I mean, B/C, it would be more of A PIA to freaken set up a drill press and align each hole, flip over and do it again.

So, I can imagine that, there's been a boring bit made over 100 year ago and a really good shop, could, should or ought to know a source to beg, borrow or not steel but buy, fer pretty fricken darned cheap, verse a danged drill press template/platform.

Last edited:

The chrome loss is minimal. Just drill the hub properly, and you shouldn't have any issues!

BTW, if it wasn't for the guys doing stuff like this, and customizing the bikes back in the 70's, we would not have the billion dollar MTB industry we have today!!!!!

Back