When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Heavy Duty Schwinn for sale.

-

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
Please realize I know zero, about Schwinns. I bought this simply because I like purpose-built bikes, and it showed its use - Maintenance Dept., Middle East Airlines. My guess, is it was originally red and sun-faded to its present color. I've done nothing to it...including, not looking for an identifying mark. At my age, turning over a heavy bike is something of a project. I've been told it's a Heavy Duty model. Please advise, if this is incorrect. I have it advertised locally (55 miles NW of Chicago) for $200. I think dismantling it for shipping would be something of a chore. What do you think?

Please realize I know zero, about Schwinns. I bought this simply because I like purpose-built bikes, and it showed its use - Maintenance Dept., Middle East Airlines. My guess, is it was originally red and sun-faded to its present color. I've done nothing to it...including, not looking for an identifying mark. At my age, turning over a heavy bike is something of a project. I've been told it's a Heavy Duty model. Please advise, if this is incorrect. I have it advertised locally (55 miles NW of Chicago) for $200. I think dismantling it for shipping would be something of a chore. What do you think?
View attachment 1415902

View attachment 1415903

View attachment 1415904

View attachment 1415905

View attachment 1415906
I have never seen Red go that way. I think it is a repaint. Not a lot of indicators as to model. You have rear brake bridge so that helps a bit. The chainguard is another way to tell maybe it says the name under the paint. A serial number would be helpful it is located on the rear drop out. The crank sprocket is not correct for a middle weight maybe it was put on for easier pedaling. Basket and handlebars look correct for HD and it has the heavy duty 10 guage spokes. the last couple things have me leaning towards HD. Not sure when they used that rear brake bridge on the HD's but it was the later versions. $200 is a fair price near me but your closer to the home of Schwinn not sure if that changes things.

View attachment 1415902

View attachment 1415903

View attachment 1415904

View attachment 1415905

View attachment 1415906
Cool history of a airline maintenance bike ! The non stock tiny 7 hole Schwinn sprocket makes for a granny gear ratio, the probable repaint in matte pink is reminiscent of the desert camo color of the WWII SAS Pink Panther scheme on Land Rovers, the red and amber wheel reflectors were on early Heavy Duties and on the fabled California Cruiser but the frame “looks” like a later cruiser model with the raised brake bridge.
The welded in “tank plate” with the stencil spray painted letters and the Middle Eastern Airlines sticker is super cool

Last edited:
No need to turn it over serial number is most likely on the head tube. Sprocket looks like a lucky 7 off a Schwinn tandem. Does it have reinforcing tack welds at the bottom of the ends of the cantilevers were they meet the down tube? If that's the correct guard combined with the brake bridge, and the yellow paint showing through at the brake bridge it's probably a 1972 - 1975 Heavy Duti.

Last edited:
From the looks of this, it appears to be all original as modified or painted. The reflectors and peddles appear to be in the mid to late 70's. Maybe 78. Think would have been yellow then. Yet, who knows B/C Schwinn could have custom built a couple O hundred for MEA too.

This bike might be pink because it's a desert color and maybe brought to the US by a solder who was on tour during 1 of the war trips. That seems to be a boing 707 and I did a little search on it. There's something about modified versions and unmodified that's this photo or illustration I found is, like, unmodified version, and somebody suspects that Iran is hiding one. So, maybe your bike came from Desert storm tour and the sticker is a modified version. You ought to clean the chrome up. Aluminum foil and water wont scratch it. Don't touch the paint with anything more than soft detergents. I expect that, if you found an airplane/jet enthusiast or possibly Solder who did a tour then, you could get double your ask or more: https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/yTTPrK/Boeing-B707-300-Middle-Eastern-Airlines

yTTPrK-UserView-0.png

Last edited:
I've looked for markings on the bike - none, I can find anywhere. Rear dropout, head tube, bottom bracket...nothing. No decal visible showing under paint. Only "Bendix 70" on brake arm. Under that tan/pinkish color - spots of yellow showing over red primer? There just HAS to be a number somewhere...but I can't spot a trace of one.

Back