When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Held ID this new to me Elgin Classic 1939-1945? ish?

-

SirWilliam

On Training Wheels
I was told this is a 1945 Elgin War Special, but I can't seem to find many pictures online of everything the orig bike had on it, or if its even the right year/model. I don't know. I recently purchased this bike "as-is". I've added the rear basket, bell, saddlebags, but can someone help me out determining exactly what I have?

I bought both of these bicycles pictured from the same person on the same day. The other one is supposedly a 1946 JC Higgins (model unknown) and has been repainted at some point. Any help with what models, confirming the years, what's not orig to the bike. Both bikes have skip tooth sprockets and chains.

The serial number in the image is for the Elgin. Elgin looks to have all orig paint/patina on it. I know I am missing the drop stand on the back. I would love to know what drop stands fit this bike, as the side kick stand does not fit correctly, and the edge of my left pedal strikes the kickstand just a bit once every rotation which is annoying.

MJS-K
MOD-205 213?

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

The image above was a city of Spokane bicycle registration program I believe. A few older locals seem to remember it, but couldnt tell me much about it.

Last edited:
The "MOS-K" would make it a 1946 post-war frame by Murray Ohio; 1945-48 patent 2,443,008.
Also, curved down tube.

Example of imperfection -- the "MOD 205" should have read, "MOD 502" for Murray-built Sears bicycles.
The "213" was likely a model number, as Murray used odd numbers for boys' bikes, (often starting with the digit 2).
The bike with white rims, (and forward drop-outs), is likely later -- early 1950's.

Last edited:
Also, botched the spelling in the thread title, and I saw on one place here in a sticky with instructions on how to edit a thread title, but that option appears unavail to me.

Back