When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello, First Post, and have a question about a tank I recently found. Also Photos of a Sears Project

-

MarkKBike

Finally riding a big boys bike
This one here is just a Sears branded Bike, and it's a fun little side project for me. I wanted a old ugly bike that I can ride into town to ocationally view the local summer car shows, and if I ever got it to a point where someone wanted the bike more than me, maybe I'd end up walking back home.

I picked this rusty beauty up in very ruff condition at a garage sale. If I remember correcty, I think I stoled it for $3. (Actuallty, I probably just saved it from the trash, as the owner seemed amused someone was willing to buy it). The bike was missing a few parts. I wanted to build it up, but not restore it. The first step was to disassemble, clean up, and paint the steel rims. Once that was done I ordered some tires. Next I found a cheap suspention fork at a flea market for I think maybe $10. My Brother gave me the headlamp for my birthday, with a note that read (Here is a light for your peice of junk). He knew I was looking for one, and I know he also likes the project.

Then just last weekend I found this old tank with a electric horn, I wanted to see if it would fit my bike, so it came home with me. (It probably wont stay on the bike, I just wanted to see if it would fit). The original fenders will be going back on after I modify them a little bit, The new tires are just to big, and rub, so I'm going to have to open them up alittle for some additional clearance.

Can anyone here help me identify the tank? It has a rocket flying past a black planet, and also a image of saturn. The pictured numbers look like they might be 189. The tank has a electric horn. I spent a few hours searching around the net trying to find the answer myself, but have yet to identify it.

I used to only ride newer bikes, but have primarily switched over to the older ones. They're just more enjoyable. I have a collection that is a bit larger than it should be. None of the others bikes are built similary, or as ugly as this one.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going to take this project, but I'm sure I'll have some fun along the way!

IMAG1283.jpg

IMG_9724.JPG

IMG_9725.JPG

IMG_9726.JPG

IMG_9727.JPG

Last edited:
I did not want to start a new Project Thread since I just started this last one here yesterday, so i figured I'd post this here. This is the bike that got me started into performiong some restores. Its a 80's Schwinn Varsity. My father bought it for my birthday when I was in junior high. I remember being upset because i couldn't reach the pedals. It eventually fit me, and I rode it until I was high school aged, and wanted a moutain bike instead.

I re-found it a few years back when I was helping my parents clean their shed. I almost tossed it, as it was in terrible comdition, It was colored red and rust. I ended up taking it home, took it all apart, and meticulously cleaned each part and ground off the ugly kick stand assembly. (I remember being surprised that the chrome actually cleaned up, I would have never suspected that). When I re-assembled it I wanted to make it appear older than it really was, and make it into something I'd be proud to ride . I was planning to go with a gloss black, but after I sprayed the black primer I liked the look, so I just put a semigloss clear coat over the primer. I think it now has almost a original weathered look to it, which is what I was going for.

What I like about restoring these old bikes, is that with a little elbow grease, you dont have to spend much to have a cool ride.

IMG_9728.JPG

IMG_9730.JPG

Last edited:
I did not want to start a new Project Thread since I just started this last one here yesterday, so i figured I'd post this here. This is the bike that got me started into performiong some restores. Its a 80's Schwinn Varsity. My father bought it for my birthday when I was in junior high. I remember being upset because i couldn't reach the pedals. It eventually fit me, and I rode it until I was high school aged, and wanted a moutain bike instead.

I re-found it a few years back when I was helping my parents clean their shed. I almost tossed it, as it was in terrible comdition, It was colored red and rust. I ended up taking it home, took it all apart, and meticulously cleaned each part and ground off the ugly kick stand assembly. (I remember being surprised that the chrome actually cleaned up, I would have never suspected that). When I re-assembled it I wanted to make it appear older than it really was, and make it into something I'd be proud to ride . I was planning to go with a gloss black, but after I sprayed the black primer I liked the look, so I just put a semigloss clear coat over the primer. I think it now has almost a original weathered look to it, which is what I was going for.

What I like about restoring these old bikes, is that with a little elbow grease, you dont have to spend much to have a cool ride.

View attachment 460785

View attachment 460786
The chrome on Chicago Schwinns has surprised me more than once. If it isn't actually pitted or peeling, I never write it off before I try cleaning it.

I'm going to take the opportunity to sneak another bike into this thread. (And its another Sears Branded Bike). Last Fall, I purchased this one, along with the womens version as a matched set. Over the winter, I disasembled, cleaned up, and relubed the male bike, but have not got around to finishing the matching female bike yet (Its still in peices, and is sitting in my basement. I can't really call this one a restore, as I was able to salvage all the original components except the seat. It just needed a meticulous cleaning, a polish, and some new lube. I honestly think it still has all the original cable housings and maybe even the original tires.

Whats cool about this one, is that it was made in Austria, and if my research serves me correct, I believe it was made by Punch for Sears. Both bikes in this set are in excellent condition. I'm just going to need to polish up, and re-assemble the other half to this set.

My younger brother is currently looking for a house, and I'm considering giving him and his wife these two bikes as a house warming gift, once the're able to find a new home.

About a years ago, I gave my parents a similar set of Shwinns I re-conditioned for there wedding aniversery. My dad still gets out on his, but it may have been to late for my mom. She crashed on her first trip and skinned her knee. My father went out and bought her a helmet and knee pads, but I doubt she is going to give it another try. (I told her I would get her training wheels, but she doesn't want them). There getting older, and if I can't get her out this year, the gift may have been a few years late. (I was just trying to keep them active), I may have to track down a trike for her.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Last edited:
Back