When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello, First Post - My Schwinn Suburban project

-

Bru

Look Ma, No Hands!
This 10-speed Suburban was given to me and I fixed it up - a few seized bolts, some dry bearings, some rust, and a big rear fender dent.

Per the serial number, it was made June 1980 in Chicago, so probably one of the last frames made there. Color is Spicy Chestnut. Original Price was $196.95. It has an interesting drivetrain - Shimano Front Freewheel System (where the freewheel is in the bottom bracket, not the cogs) so the chain rotates while costing (which means the rider can also shift gears while coasting), and a Shimano Positron rear derailer with indexing (a precursor to their SIS Index System). Everything is original except for new tires, tubes, and cables. And a new seat post binder bolt. Oh, and new hex cap screws to attach the rear fender.

I learned two things doing this rehab: 1) Do not cut the Positron rear derailer wire (it's not a cable) because it's not made any more, and 2) Schwinn 27-inch rims cannot handle more than 70 psi in the tire. Luckily, the first I did not do, but the second I learned the hard way as I watched the tires peal off the rims which caused the tubes to burst. New tubes and only 60 psi and I'm good to go.

Anyway, I think it turned out pretty good, and it's fun to ride.

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

Welcome to the Cabe.

That's a real nice example! Looks brand new, and it's in one of the coolest colors Schwinn used. The actual build date will be stamped on the head badge next to the letter I. Four digits first three are the day of year and the last is the last digit of the year. (DDDY)

Welcome to the Cabe.

That's a real nice example! Looks brand new, and it's in one of the coolest colors Schwinn used. The actual build date will be stamped on the head badge next to the letter I. Four digits first three are the day of year and the last is the last digit of the year. (DDDY)
Good info about the date on the head badge. Didn't know that.

9/2/1980, a Tuesday. Day number 246, and the rehab was finished on the United States 246th birthday. Weird coincidence.

Back