When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help 1936 schwinn?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Stichtersharpening

Look Ma, No Hands!
So I got this bike for 50$ from a guy. I read that straight key forks were only one year. Can anyone help me on the rest of the bike. Is it anything special? Looks like someone may have pieced it together I'm not sure. I build motorized bikes and don't want to use this if it is.Thanks guys

1508852919360655741000.jpg

15088530338081891523956.jpg

1508853130055648256995.jpg

15088531832301604447903.jpg

Welcome to the Forum ! Lots of stuff has been switched out on your Bike- but that`s okay--- it`s still a NICE SAVE. Frame according to the Serial Number is a 1938. Front fork is according to others here on the Forum -is a 1936. Your Frame looks in the pictures to also be a "Tall Frame" with a "Special Order"--longer Seat Post. The fork upper tube would also be longer, perhaps salvaged from a girls Bike. Parts are a little harder to find for these Models. Fenders, Crank, Chain guard, and seat have all been replaced on your Bike. But, Prewar Schwinns are getting gone... Fix it up or pass it on to someone who will... God Bless,---Cowboy
I see your Motorized Bikes in the background of your photos- NICE WORK!!!

image.jpeg
Although, there's no doubt that this bike was put together from parts of all ages, and that I do agree, that the straight back Cyclock configuration was a 1936 first year introduction.
That type of lock arrangement was still being used at least up until 1940.
I've been working on a 1939 Schwinn DX that came equipped with the Cyclock, and to my surprise, it's a 1936 configuration.
Unusual for sure, but another case where Schwinn was using up old stock on the popularly priced budget models.
What seemed strange to me, was that they omitted the truss rod tangs for the DX line.
I would think, that any of the old stock 36 Cyclock forks would've already had the tangs attached. So, if that was the case, then they had to go through another step in the process to remove the tangs, to equip the 39 DX with a Cyclock fork.
Unusual? I don't know.
But, interesting for sure.

Welcome to the Forum ! Lots of stuff has been switched out on your Bike- but that`s okay--- it`s still a NICE SAVE. Frame according to the Serial Number is a 1938. Front fork is according to others here on the Forum -is a 1936. Your Frame looks in the pictures to also be a "Tall Frame" with a "Special Order"--longer Seat Post. The fork upper tube would also be longer, perhaps salvaged from a girls Bike. Parts are a little harder to find for these Models. Fenders, Crank, Chain guard, and seat have all been replaced on your Bike. But, Prewar Schwinns are getting gone... Fix it up or pass it on to someone who will... God Bless,---Cowboy
I see your Motorized Bikes in the background of your photos- NICE WORK!!!

That's not a 38 serial, 38 would be small tight machine stamped letter/numbers. The large size hand stamped serial with that style frame is most certainly a '36. The bike is not a tall 20" frame, and there is no such thing as a "Special Order" longer seat post either.

View attachment 696946 Although, there's no doubt that this bike was put together from parts of all ages, and that I do agree, that the straight back Cyclock configuration was a 1936 first year introduction.
That type of lock arrangement was still being used at least up until 1940.
I've been working on a 1939 Schwinn DX that came equipped with the Cyclock, and to my surprise, it's a 1936 configuration.
Unusual for sure, but another case where Schwinn was using up old stock on the popularly priced budget models.
What seemed strange to me, was that they omitted the truss rod tangs for the DX line.
I would think, that any of the old stock 36 Cyclock forks would've already had the tangs attached. So, if that was the case, then they had to go through another step in the process to remove the tangs, to equip the 39 DX with a Cyclock fork.
Unusual? I don't know.
But, interesting for sure.

There were plenty of Cyclock oval forks made in 36 to have leftovers I'm sure, that style of fork on your 39 DX came on some basic models in 36 and the lock was always an option. I dig it, makes that bike a bit unique.

That's not a 38 serial, 38 would be small tight machine stamped letter/numbers. The large size hand stamped serial with that style frame is most certainly a '36. The bike is not a tall 20" frame, and there is no such thing as a "Special Order" longer seat post either.

There were plenty of Cyclock oval forks made in 36 to have leftovers I'm sure, that style of fork on your 39 DX came on some basic models in 36 and the lock was always an option. I dig it, makes that bike a bit unique.
Hi Eric so what would the bike most likely been originally with that style frame? Autocycle?

Hi Eric so what would the bike most likely been originally with that style frame? Autocycle?

Does it have a hole for the grounding wire screw on the center bar near the head tube? If so then Autocycle, if not then maybe a super early 37 base model? I don't recall there being an unequipped version with that frame in 36 but I don't have my book in front of me to double check.

Does it have a hole for the grounding wire screw on the center bar near the head tube? If so then Autocycle, if not then maybe a super early 37 base model? I don't recall there being an unequipped version with that frame in 36 but I don't have my book in front of me to double check.
No hole....im just curios to maybe redo the bike close to an original thanks.....Brian

Back